Project Engineer I - II
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Project Engineer I - II
Member Planning Supervisor
Headquarters – 330 S US HWY 301, Sumterville FL 33585
Based on Qualifications and Experience
# of Vacancies:
SECO Energy is a not-for-profit electric distribution cooperative serving nearly 200,000 families and businesses across seven counties in Central Florida, making SECO Energy the third largest electric co-op in Florida and the sixth largest in the nation.
*This posting will be closed and no longer available to receive applications upon the discretion of SECO Energy.
Qualified employees will be considered on an equal basis with external applicants.
General Purpose of Job:
This position is responsible for the design for overhead and underground electric service to the utility distribution system and fiber optic facilities and appropriate documentation necessary to meet the needs and requirements of both the Cooperative and our customers.
The following includes the minimum job requirements and essential duties for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some job requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or, Civil or Mechanical Engineering degree with utility related experience.
For PE I:
- Associates degree AssassMay consider an Associate or two-year technical degree, plus four years directly related experience in the electric distribution utility fieldMay consider MMay.
For PE II:
- Minimum four (4) years’ experience with the BS degree and a valid Professional Engineer license in the state of Florida. If not registered in Florida, should become registered within a comparatively short time; or,
- Minimum eight (8) years’ experience with the BS degree onlyMay consider MMay.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering with a concentration in power systems.
- Civil or Mechanical Engineering degree with utility related experience.
- Experience with or knowledge of: GE Design Manager or similar design/drawing aids (Auto-CAD, PLS-CAD)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and understanding of power systems to plan, design, and prepare specifications to meet the Cooperative’s objectives and customer needs.
- Knowledge of NEC and NESC codes and how they impact utility project designs; and ability to learn and acquire knowledge of RUS and SECO specifications.
- Knowledge of surveying principles and property rights; ability to learn and prepare easements and acquire permits.
- Strong math skills and knowledge of electrical calculations.
- Computer proficiency with the ability to utilize Microsoft Office applications; ability to learn GE Design Manager and other corporate computer systems applicable to the position.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills including written, verbal and listening to effectively interact with employees, managers, vendors, subcontractors, government agencies and the public; ability to prepare clear and concise reports and documents; work independently and in a team environment to complete assignments with a high degree of accuracy, with attention to detail and meet deadlines.
- Excellent customer service orientation; ability to effectively plan, organize, and prioritize work assignment; ability to exercise good judgment, sound reasoning skills and discretion in making independent decisions commensurate with responsibilities.
- Ability to maintain confidential information, and effectively manage stress and pressure in a frequently changing environment; ability to multi-task calmly and effectively in all situations.
- English is the primary business language. Second language in Spanish is desirable.
SKILLS VERIFICATION: The skills required for this position may be verified through a combination of education, experience, interview questions and technical skills exercise(s).
- Valid Florida driver’s license for regular driving privileges of cooperative vehicles; must have and maintain an acceptable driving record as determined by the Cooperative.
- Successful completion of SECO Energy’s employment entrance examination and drug screen.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of essential duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties that may be assigned based on the needs of the Cooperative.
- Prepare designs for distribution overhead and underground electric utility line extensions and modifications to the electrical system that include detailed structural and electrical calculations as appropriate.
- Prepare designs for overhead and underground fiber optic cable installations on the electric transmission and distribution system. These installations are intended to expand and improve the corporate network of communications to critical assets.
- Assist with the acquisition of easements for transmission and distribution projects within assigned areas.
- Create detailed plans, construction drawings, topographic profiles, work order layouts, maps and related drawings used in the planning, design and construction of electric facilities; extensive utilization of PC and software applications to prepare and maintain project documentation.
- Prepare work plans, specifications and detailed drawings from rough sketches, engineering notes, verbal descriptions, surveys, previous project documents, collected field data and customer plans.
- Create and modify Design Manager drawings to support project designs and studies and to help maintain electrical infrastructure records.
- Assist with development and maintaining a distribution system load and fault analysis model; records on system performance, system protective devices, and distribution circuit protective device coordination; identifying needs and recommending action.
- Assist with the preparation of short- and long-range work plans, including voltage drop studies, sectionalizing studies, maintenance requirements and budgeting.
- Perform evaluation of line outage conditions and recommendations for changes and/or improvements.
- Assist with SECO’s Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI), Distribution Automation (DA) and Conservation Voltage Reduction (CVR) projects, as needed.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by or those an employee encounters to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
- Generally accepted office environment and frequent field work; moderate exposure to adverse weather conditions; and travel to all areas to the Cooperative’s service territory. Normal work hours will be eight (8) hours between 7:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Ability to work irregular hours for assignment completion and flexibility to change scheduling and report to work on short notice during emergency situations.
- Ability to operate a variety of office equipment, i.e. personal computer, fax, scanner, printers, and telephone.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
This position has general office environment with frequent field work and moderate exposure to inclement weather. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Attend and actively participate in all Job Briefings and Safety Meetings as required.
- Promotes safe work practices
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge and comply with all applicable SECO Energy safety rules, policies, practices, and procedures.
- Use all required safety protective equipment and utilize all SECO Energy equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Be alert to any safety hazards involving SECO Energy equipment and notify the appropriate personnel immediately.
- Operate and maintain cooperative vehicles in a safe manner and obey all federal, state, and local laws applicable to the operation of the vehicle; drive at safe speeds no greater than that permitted by law or other speed control signs or devices.
- Ensure company vehicle is inspected before use and problem areas are reported; ensure vehicle is kept clean and organized with supplies.
- Attend and actively participate in training as scheduled.
- Maintain regular attendance and punctuality during the established working hours.
- Maintain a commitment to excellence and to the Corporate Vision.
- Maintain and encourage open, honest communication with superiors and co-workers.
- Exhibit a commitment to customer focused service.
- Exhibit integrity and honesty in all actions.
- Exhibit a firm commitment to safety.
- Maintain a team player focused cooperative style.
- Exhibit a strong work ethic.
SECO Energy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.