T&D Environmental Specialist
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
T&D Environmental Specialist
Environmental & Project Supervisor
293 South US Highway 301, Sumterville, FL 33585
Based on qualifications and experience
Non Represented - Non-Exempt
Thursday, 06/13/2019 until filled*
# of Vacancies:
SECO Energy is a not-for-profit electric distribution cooperative serving nearly 200,000 families and businesses across seven counties in Central Florida, making SECO Energy the third largest electric co-op in Florida and the sixth largest in the nation.
*This posting will be closed and no longer available to receive applications upon the discretion of SECO Energy.
Qualified employees will be considered on an equal basis with external applicants.
General Purpose of Job
This position is responsible for insuring SECO Energy’s compliance with State and Federal Environmental regulations and laws concerning proper storage, disposal and documentation of oil filled equipment. Responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to the repair, testing, disposal and record keeping of all line and substation electrical equipment; serves as oil spill coordinator for the proper cleanup, storage and disposal of all oil spills for leaking or damaged oil filled electrical equipment and maintains the required EPA record keeping to ensure compliance for the disposal of oil and containments. Coordination/completion of periodic environmental audits/inspections of all SECO Energy’s permanent and temporary oil-filled equipment storage locations; Proper testing, storage, labeling, documenting and disposal of all PCB contaminated equipment. This position is also responsible for performing high and low voltage tests (utilizing specialty equipment) on transmission, distribution and substation equipment to determine if it can safely and efficiently be returned to service.
The following includes the minimum job requirements and essential duties for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some job requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
Education and Experience
- Associates Degree in environmental science with 1 year progressive experience in environmental compliance.
- Continued education/certification (or the ability to achieve) in hazardous materials management, regulatory compliance, and record keeping.
- Experience or similar work with an electric utility or related industry.
Note: Minimum of four (4) years’ experience in environmental compliance with an electric utility or related industry may be considered in lieu of Associate’s Degree.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of electric distribution utility apparatus and components; procedures and practices used in the repair and maintenance of distribution and substation equipment and oil filtration equipment.
- Knowledge of state and federal regulations for compliance with PCB and non-PCB management including oil spill cleanup procedures and the proper disposal of PCB equipment.
- Demonstrated a thorough knowledge of all applicable SECO Energy, EPA and OSHA safety rules, policies, practices and procedures.
- Proficiency in personal computer operations and MS Office products; ability to acquire skills in the use of applicable corporate software programs.
- Excellent customer service orientation and interpersonal skills for effective interaction with managers, employees, vendors, governmental agencies and customers; ability to exercise good judgment, sound reasoning skills and discretion in making independent decisions commensurate with responsibilities.
- Excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills; accurately prepare all types of office correspondence, design and produce reports and training manuals; give presentations; effective planning and organizational skills with excellent documentation and detail orientation; ability to complete assignments, meet deadlines and work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding all information related to the Cooperative, management, employees and customers; effectively manage stress and pressure in a frequently changing environment; ability to multi-task calmly and effectively in all situations.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment to meet deadlines; to manage stress and pressure in a frequently changing environment and ability to multi-task calmly and effectively in all situations.
- English is the primary business language. Second language in Spanish is desirable.
Skills Verification: The skills required for this position may be verified through a combination of education, experience, interview questions, and technical skills exercise(s).
- Valid Florida driver’s license for regular driving privileges of cooperative vehicles; must have and maintain an acceptable driving record as determined by the Cooperative.
- Ability to achieve and maintain forklift operator certification.
- Successful completion of SECO Energy’s employment entrance examination and drug screen.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of essential duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties that may be assigned based on the needs of the Cooperative.
- Repair, test and maintain electrical distribution and substation distribution equipment, including transformers, reclosers, oil switches, circuit breakers, regulator, capacitors, etc.
- Maintain components and supplies, including test kits, oil and fuses.
- Maintain PCB database and reporting. Initiate proper disposal and documentation of all SECO Energy owned oil-filled equipment.
- Compile information and complete records pertaining to transformers, oil circuit reclosers and voltage regulators being sent for reconditioning or disposal.
- Ensure compliance with all rules and regulations pertaining to handling and disposal of hazardous materials and serve as coordinator for oil spills, PCB debris, or oil soaked soil.
- Maintain spill records and follow up on clean ups as necessary.
- Schedule and collect PCB oil samples necessary for PCB compliance and maintain accurate test records.
- Coordinate PCB labeling system; inspect PCB storage facility on a regular basis.
- Conduct inventory of transformers and other electrical equipment in/out of receiving area.
- Maintain adequate inventory of spill clean-up materials for all offices.
- Develop, maintain and conduct spill clean-up handling procedure training for all applicable construction personnel.
- Inspect and clean transformer pans.
- Schedule and/or conduct environmental audits, as directed.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters or must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
- Generally accepted office environment and frequent field work; moderate exposure to adverse weather conditions with potential exposure to hazardous chemicals. Normal work hours will be eight (8) hours Monday through Friday between the hours of 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Ability to work irregular hours for assignment completion and flexibility to change scheduling and report to work on short notice to respond to and/or during emergency situations.
- Ability to operate a variety of office equipment, including personal computer, printers, telephone and fax machine.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear; is frequently required to walk, sit, stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 65 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
This position has general office environment with frequent field work and moderate exposure to adverse elements of weather with potential exposure to hazardous chemicals. May require the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles or gloves. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Attend and actively participate in all Job Briefings and Safety Meetings as required.
- Promotes safe work practices
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge and comply with all applicable SECO Energy safety rules, policies, practices, and procedures.
- Use all required safety protective equipment and utilize all SECO Energy equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Be alert to any safety hazards involving SECO Energy equipment and notify the appropriate personnel immediately.
- Operate and maintain cooperative vehicles in a safe manner and obey all federal, state, and local laws applicable to the operation of the vehicle; drive at safe speeds no greater than that permitted by law or other speed control signs or devices.
- Ensure company vehicle is inspected before use and problem areas are reported; ensure vehicle is kept clean and organized with supplies.
- Operate and maintain cooperative forklift in a safe manner and obey all cooperative safety rules and safe work practices applicable to the safe operations of a forklift.
- Ensure company forklift(s) is inspected before use and problem areas are reported.
- Attend and actively participate in training as scheduled.
- Maintain regular attendance and punctuality during the established working hours.
- Maintain a commitment to excellence and to the Corporate Vision.
- Maintain and encourage open, honest communication with superiors and co-workers.
- Exhibit a commitment to customer focused service.
- Exhibit integrity and honesty in all actions.
- Exhibit a firm commitment to safety.
- Maintain a team player focused cooperative style.
- Exhibit a strong work ethic.
SECO Energy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.