Director, Digital Design and UX
Director, Digital Design and UX
New York Public Radio is seeking a Director of Digital Design and User Experience to help define and drive the future of our digital properties and lead our team of product designers. Reporting to the Chief Product Officer, the role will lead our product design practice and set the creative vision across our apps, websites, and other consumer-facing platforms in ways that serve and delight existing and new audiences for public media.
Our ideal candidate has a passion and expertise in digital media ecosystems and emerging platforms and deep experience implementing design thinking and user research-driven approaches to product design.
You are a fearless advocate for the needs of users. You are a practitioner of the latest approaches to user research. You have a demonstrated ability to create elegant design systems for complex products. You’re an innovator who can help define a digital strategy and vision, and a collaborator who can work across disciplines. Your team loves working with you because you are a clear communicator and thoughtful mentor who leads through inspiration and a creative but rigorous approach to design principles and practices. You have a deep understanding and appreciation for public media and a drive to help renew its purpose and value through new and emerging platforms.
If this sounds like you, and you're excited to work with great people in a thriving, mission-driven organization, we'd love to meet you.
What you will do:
- Build, manage, and motivate a small, multidisciplinary team of product designers, and work closely with our UX engineers.
- Play a leadership role rooted in collaboration, with a deep understanding of our audiences, a pragmatic awareness of opportunities and risks, and a commitment to solving complex business problems by delivering elegant and functional user experiences.
- Drive the creation and implementation of a clear and differentiated design vision and strategy for NYPR’s portfolio of digital products and experiences across platforms and devices.
- Drive the product discovery practice across the organization, using rapid ideation and iteration approaches such as design sprints and Lean UX.
- Conceptualize and present designs to stakeholders across the organization – including senior leadership and representatives from Content, Revenue, and Audience Development teams.
- Direct and contribute to the development of easy-to-use designs and user flows, sitemaps, wireframes, designs and prototypes.
- Develop and maintain UX/UI design systems.
- Champion and evangelize user-centered, data-informed, agile design processes; analyze and incorporate quantitative data and qualitative insights into designs; and lead ongoing user research and testing.
- Evangelize NYPR digital products externally to customers, partners, and prospects.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of standards, industry trends, emerging platforms, and design/UX best practices
- Channel the voice, needs and behaviors of the user throughout all of our work.
What you have:
- A passion for audio, news, digital media, and the mission of serving the public.
- A strong, clean, and elegant visual design aesthetic.
- A nuanced eye for typography, layout, and color.
- The ability to think big while paying attention to detail and to balance consumer vision with business needs.
- Exceptional business judgment, communication, interpersonal, organizational and multitasking skills.
- The ability to lead and delegate and the willingness to roll up your sleeves and execute.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and a willingness to test uncharted territory.
- The energy and discipline to teach oneself and others new skills with minimal hand-holding.
What You’ve Done:
- Practiced design in media (preferred) or consumer-facing product companies.
- Run UX research processes.
- Practiced eight years building, managing or evolving a product design system.
- Acquired three years of experience managing, leading or mentoring designers.
- Built an exceptional portfolio of work showcasing responsive web and mobile apps.
- Attained a solid academic background in Interaction Design, Communication Design, Information Science, or equivalent work experience.
- Attained a deep understanding of mobile and emerging devices, including design methods, partners, technologies, and platforms.
- Learned HTML, CSS, and front-end technologies and trends.
- Acquired expertise in Figma and other prototyping tools.
- Developed demonstrable management skills in an SDLC environment of continual change.
- Become expert in Agile/Scrum methodologies.
This is a full-time role that includes benefits. New York Public Radio offers competitive compensation with excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance, vacation, personal, sick time and parental leave.
This role is currently operating remotely, with the ability to optionally work from the office sometimes, which is encouraged. However, this position is not a permanent remote position and is part of the New York City staff and will be expected to work from the New York office in a hybrid capacity starting May 31st.
Given that this role will be in the office, being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is required unless NYPR has approved a specific religious or medical exemption in advance of the first day of work. At this time, NYPR defines being fully vaccinated as having received two Moderna or Pfizer COVID-19 vaccinations or one Johnson and Johnson vaccination.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
New York Public Radio is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We continuously strive to place our employees at the center of our thinking and elevate inclusive practices to develop and support a more engaged and productive workforce. Our journalism and operations in the service of that journalism benefit from a broad range of perspectives, from all backgrounds, at all levels of the organization. Diversity is essential to honest, authentic, accurate storytelling and reportage; creating an institution in which all voices are encouraged, valued, and heard.
New York Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving the goal of equal employment opportunity for all. Applicants and employees are considered and evaluated for positions without regard to mental or physical disability, race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship status, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, employment status or any protected federal, state or local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.
***Please submit a portfolio or links to examples of work when completing the application***