Chief of Party, USAID/Liberia Transforming the Education System (TESTS)
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
IREX seeks qualified Chief of Party (COP) candidates to lead an anticipated five-year USAID-funded comprehensive teacher training program in Liberia to improve early childhood education and primary education teachers’ quality and instructional delivery. The COP will provide programmatic and technical leadership to strengthen teacher preparation institutions, build critical skills for quality teaching, and improve the enabling environment for teacher practice. The COP will be a creative and dynamic leader, adaptively overseeing all staff and program implementation to ensure that objectives are met on time and within budget.
This position is contingent on funding.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide strategic and technical leadership to the program; deploying innovative and adaptive program implementation that activates stakeholders while effectively meeting donor deliverables
- Serve as the principal liaison with USAID, as well as with key government officials, other donors and implementers, private sector and civil society partners, program beneficiaries, and other stakeholders
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships with local, regional, and international organizations
- Ensure program activities are efficiently implemented on schedule and within budget; responsively adapting to changes and lessons learned throughout implementation
- Supervise, manage, and mentor program staff and work in close coordination with IREX’s home office
- Oversee program budgeting, financial management, and compliance
- Oversee monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of program activities; facilitate learning across activities and amongst key stakeholders
- Represent IREX publicly and support its organizational development
- Other duties, as assigned
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in a relevant field such as education, international development, non-profit management with at least 12 years of relevant experience (or bachelor’s degree with 15 years of experience) in leading programs focused on early childhood education and/or primary education pre-service and in-service teacher training, with experience working in Liberia and/or the West Africa region strongly preferred
- Successful track record of supervising, designing, managing, and implementing complex donor-funded technical assistance projects (with strong preference for past USAID-funded project management experience)
- Demonstrated expertise in areas such as teacher training and professional development - pedagogical skills and content knowledge, higher education institution/teacher training institution strengthening, faculty training and development, curriculum development, development of education policies, community engagement for early childhood education
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with senior government officials; education institutions and administrators; media, civil society, and private sector leaders; international donors; and other stakeholders
- Proven leadership qualities and excellent management skills
- Demonstrated ability to track and manage budgets and plan both strategically and creatively to meet project objectives in compliance with USAID rules and regulations
- Strong understanding of the Liberian context preferred
- Strong representational and organizational skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English; proficiency in local language(s) a plus
Click on “Apply” below to submit your CV for consideration.