Recruitment Officer (Contractor)
Location: Washington, DC
Group/Practice/Unit: Operations/Human Resources
Who We Are
At IREX we strive for a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world—where individuals research their full potential, governments serve their people and communities thrive.
But around the globe, persistent poverty, repression, and injustice prevent too many people form achieving their full potential. To address these problems, we focus on people, not on vaccines, roads, or wells. We support individuals and institutions to create change in their own communities—and to create persons-to person bridges between nations.
IREX works with partners in more than 100 countries in four areas essential to progress: cultivating leaders, empowering youth, strengthening institutions, and increasing access to quality education and information.
The Recruitment Officer (Contractor) is responsible for recruiting qualified candidates internationally and domestically for position openings, ongoing projects and new business/proposal development. In view of the highly technical nature of recruitment in a variety of subject areas, you will work and collaborate with the Business Development team and Global Programs hiring managers.
The successful candidate will, on a contractual basis, support effective sourcing, and recruitment and onboarding of key personnel such as Chiefs of Party, Country Directors, Deputy Country Directors, Practice/Unit Directors and other program/project middle management positions within IREX.
This role will serve as a strategic partner to business leaders and HR, with a keen eye on diversity and inclusion, workforce planning and proactive sourcing and pipelining for critical skills. It will also work closely with the Senior Recruitment Partner and HR Manager/Director for Human Resources on job classification, compensation alignment, workforce planning and strategic onboarding.
We are doers. Our decades of on-the-ground experience help us create greater impact, practical recommendations, and lasting partnerships.
Are you the next member of our team?
Our Recruitment Officers
- Are passionate about attracting top talent.
- Are collaborative and eager to engage colleagues, share ideas, and set aside personal ambitions for the greater good of the organization.
- Are prideful of their work and take ownership for the work assigned.
- Are smart people who love to learn new things and apply their knowledge to advance the IREX mission.
You Bring to IREX
- Your ability to establish relationships with internal customers and external vendors.
- Demonstrated experience undertaking inclusive sourcing of diverse candidates for placement in key personnel and middle management roles for positions funded by USAID and Department of State
- Your ability to independently see the entire recruiting process through
- Your effective communication and time management skills, confidence, and patience
- Your awesome eye for diversity and inclusion
Your Background & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree required. Bachelors degree in International Affairs, Business, Human Resources Management, Social Sciences, or a related area preferred.
- At least 5 to 7 years of US government contracting full cycle recruitment experience in international development, preferably with or for USAID or Department of State
- Experience with online career networking tools, such as LinkedIn, Devex and experience conducting searches on recruitment databases required
- Experience using Ultipro and/or Jobvite ATS preferred
- Must have a strong orientation to client satisfaction, an ability to foster productive team relationships, and an ability to work in a team environment with a commitment to applying policies processes and guidelines uniformly, fairly and consistently
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience sourcing and recruiting for middle and upper management positions in the international development sector required
- Demonstrated experience engaging in inclusive hiring practices and sourcing diverse candidates for program positions in the international development sector
- Experience working in an organization during periods of growth and change
- Experience and knowledge of FLSA and other employment laws
- Experience effectively working with a large group of individuals from diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds is required
- Foreign language fluency in either French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, or Portuguese very helpful and preferred
- Experience with other donors including: Department for International Development (DfID), Department for Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), Gates Foundation, Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC), World Bank, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) is preferred and extremely helpful
- Strong creative problem-solving skills with the ability to develop and implement practical solutions is required.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, organize large volume of work, perform independently and effectively
- Ability to work under inflexible deadlines
- Attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English required
- Strong interpersonal skills and professional demeanor
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fluid team environment with all levels of staff
- Computer literacy, database affinity; Proficiency with MS Office applications and Adobe required.
- Must be US citizen or have authorization to work in the US
Your Daily Tasks
- Conduct and lead proactive recruitment for personnel for Global Programs in collaboration with hiring managers
- Conduct and lead proactive proposal-specific and recruitment for personnel on business development activities in collaboration with IREX New Business Development proposal team
- Identify and develop relationships with potential candidates and consultants through databases, contacts/networks, events, informational interviews, Internet, publications, and cold calls for open positions and talent pools
- Develop staffing strategy, source candidates, draft advertisements, screen applications, conduct interviews, verify salaries and other information, check references, draft offer letters and letters of commitment, negotiate compensation packages, and assist with mobilization
- Conduct strategic recruitment meetings with hiring managers; conduct phone screens; work with hiring managers to develop interview questions; conduct in person interviews; schedule interviews for managers onsite; and prepare resumes for presentation to clients
- Maintain postings in Applicant Tracking System, organization website and other posting sites to keep job postings up-to-date, closing filled positions, tracking applications, registering new candidates, and uploading relevant documentation
- Ensure compliance with all governmental and client employment specifications, as well as IREX policies and procedures
- Coordinate with and provide surge support to other recruiters as needed
- Actively participate in internal discussions and initiatives to augment and improve IREX’s recruitment systems, policies, procedures, policies and tools
- Coordinate with HR team for requests for offer letters, interview dates and new hire orientation
- Must be able to research and acquire information about employment law for various countries within the regions supported by this position.
- Engage in inclusive sourcing and candidate identification; promote inclusive hiring throughout sourcing and recruitment process; and recommend highly qualified and diverse candidates, who meet the requirements for the role
This is a contractor position. Successful candidate(s) will be required to execute independent contractor agreement with IREX.
IREX will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments of 2008.
Successful candidates are subject to background screenings
This position is eligible for Telework.
This position is not eligible for Immigration Sponsorship
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE