Digital Information Specialist, USAID/Philippines Media Freedom Program
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
IREX seeks a qualified Digital Information Specialist for an anticipated USAID-funded media freedom program in the Philippines. The Digital Information Specialist will be based in Manila and will serve as the technical expert/advisor in the design and implementation of activities related to combatting disinformation.
This position is contingent on funding.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide technical leadership to the program’s disinformation activities
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships with local, regional, and international organizations active in the media sector
- Work with local, national, and international media outlets and journalists to develop networks and engage local resources
- Work with Chief of Party to develop programming and resources related to combatting disinformation
- Maintain in-depth understanding of issues affecting the media community in the Philippines
- Other duties, as assigned
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduate degree in ICT or related fields, or bachelor’s degree and equivalent professional certifications including for digital security
- Proven record of success in the media/journalism field and/or related assistance, preferably for USAID-funded projects
- At least 3 years of experience and a successful track record in implementing interventions to address information disorder
- Strong understanding of the political, economic, and media landscape in the Philippines, as well as of the current issues facing the media sector
- Experience reaching and engaging youth audiences, especially around disinformation issues
- Experience with a variety of digital platforms and supporting development of digital and web-based tools
- Experience engaging stakeholders utilizing digital information systems and data
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with senior government officials; media, civic, and private sector leaders; international donors; and other stakeholders
- Experience developing and strengthening multi-stakeholder coalitions between local, regional, and international media professionals and media organizations, civil society, private sector and industry groups, schools, the academic community, faith-based organizations, and others
- Experience working to promote and support press freedom including political pressure on media institutions, legal threats, and violence and abuses against journalists preferred
- Proven experience developing capacity of media practitioners and organizations, and assisting local media organizations to apply new skills
- Proven ability to develop partnerships with the private sector and social media influencers/professionals
- Proficiency in English and Filipino
Click on “Apply” below to submit your CV for consideration.