Senior Machine Learning Engineer
ipsy is an innovative fast-growing beauty company headquartered in San Mateo, CA. We are looking for a Machine Learning Engineer to join our personalization team. You would be responsible for developing custom machine learning models from our comprehensive data sets, and guiding how those models impact our growing member base of several million. The ideal candidate is hands-on and thrives in a fluid, high-performance entrepreneurial environment with a passion for learning and innovating.
- Strong foundation in machine learning algorithms with a broad understanding of Recommender Systems, Supervised/Unsupervised Learning Algorithms, Optimization, Graphical Models, and Learning Theory.
- Minimum of 5 years of applied research experience with successful track record of deploying machine learned models into real-world settings.
- Working knowledge and experience in distributed frameworks (e.g. Hadoop and Spark).
- Working knowledge of open source machine learning libraries (e.g. Scikit-learn, MLlib, TensorFlow, etc.).
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Masters or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, or equivalent field strongly preferred.
- Strong overall programming ability.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong curiosity in challenging problems (e.g. Skewness of data, Sampling bias, Set vs. Ordering).
- Strong technical publication history in prestigious international conferences and journals.
- Experience with Natural Language Processing and Text Representations.
- Experience with software development (Java, Scala, Python, C++, or C#).
- Experience with Combinatorial Optimization or Integer Programming.
- Experience with SQL (e.g. Hive SQL, PostgreSQL).
- Familiar with ETL and big data tools (e.g. AWS, AirFlow).
ipsy was founded with one singular mission: to inspire individuals around the world to express their unique beauty. That’s how the ipsy Glam Bag came to life. With five products personalized for you—plus articles, videos, and more on ipsy.com—you’re free to try new things and express who you are. ipsy Shopper takes our mission to the next level by making beauty more accessible, rewarding, and liberating than ever before. And with ipsy Gen Beauty, Open Studios, and all the creator content that we post each day, our intention has remained the same: to give every individual the tools to form their own definition of beauty. With over 3M members and 8K digital content creators in our community, and generating over half a billion monthly content views, we’re just getting started.
ipsy is headquartered in the Bay Area with an office in New York City and a studio production and editing facility in Los Angeles. The company achieved profitability in its first year and raised a series B round of $100M with Sherpa Capital and TPG in 2015. We owe all of our success to our inspiring, energizing employees who make exceptional things happen every single day—fearless thinking, tenacity, and a pioneering spirit push us forward. From marketing and media to engineering and operations, we are united in our goal to democratize beauty, making it accessible and affordable for everyone and fearlessly representing individuality and inclusivity. We dream. We empower. We create. And we have great fun doing it together.