Senior Engineering Manager, Data
ipsy is an innovative, fast-growing beauty company headquartered in San Mateo, CA. We are looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to lead our Data Engineering team. You will set the technical direction of data infrastructure development and drive excellence in at least the following ways:
- Organize, mentor, and develop the engineers on your teams.
- Build and maintain best-in-class engineering processes to promote engineer enablement.
- Cultivate a culture of excellence by recruiting and hiring great engineers.
- Build, maintain, and otherwise own critical data services and infrastructure.
- Influence and direct technical vision across all of Engineering.
- Partner with cross-functional teams to drive key business results.
- Minimum 2 years of engineering management experience.
- Strong knowledge in Java and at least one other programming language.
- Deep understanding of big data, ETLs, and analytics systems.
- Expert level knowledge of Spark.
- Experience with AWS RDS, Redshift, and data lake technologies.
- Passion for driving constant excellence from every engineer.
- Proven track record of growing and sustaining a large, highly functional engineering team.
- Expertise with system architecture, application architecture, and technology evaluation at large scale.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering.
- Functional understanding of personalization systems and applications.
- Experience with event driven architectures, pipelines and queues.
- Experience with subscription and/or eCommerce platforms at scale.
- Experience with Spring, Grails, Rails, or other application frameworks.
- Experience with AWS including API Gateway, Lambda, and other cutting edge technology.
- Understanding of web, mobile web, and mobile application development and operation.
ipsy was founded with one singular mission: to inspire individuals around the world to express their unique beauty. That’s how the ipsy Glam Bag came to life. With five products personalized for you—plus articles, videos, and more on ipsy.com—you’re free to try new things and express who you are. ipsy Shopper takes our mission to the next level by making beauty more accessible, rewarding, and liberating than ever before. And with ipsy Gen Beauty, Open Studios, and all the creator content that we post each day, our intention has remained the same: to give every individual the tools to form their own definition of beauty. With over 3M members and 8K digital content creators in our community, and generating over half a billion monthly content views, we’re just getting started.
ipsy is headquartered in the Bay Area with an office in New York City and a studio production and editing facility in Los Angeles. The company achieved profitability in its first year and raised a series B round of $100M with Sherpa Capital and TPG in 2015. We owe all of our success to our inspiring, energizing employees who make exceptional things happen every single day—fearless thinking, tenacity, and a pioneering spirit push us forward. From marketing and media to engineering and operations, we are united in our goal to democratize beauty, making it accessible and affordable for everyone and fearlessly representing individuality and inclusivity. We dream. We empower. We create. And we have great fun doing it together.