Substitute School Nurse (Daily/Weekly)
Founded in 2003 to provide a free, public, high-quality college preparatory education for the students of East Boston and Chelsea, Excel is proving that children’s ability to succeed in high school, college, and beyond is not determined by zip code. We have grown from one school serving approximately 200 students to a network of four schools serving more than 1,300 students, and our purpose and theory of change remains consistent: we believe that when a student has the support and tools to pursue a productive post-secondary pathway aligned with personal identity and values, it can fundamentally change his/her life trajectory. As a true public school, Excel is defined not by whom we exclude but by whom we include in our community. We are proud of the fact that we serve many students with special needs.
After 8 years of operating a small single-site middle school in East Boston, Excel was designated a “Proven Provider” by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and granted two additional charters to serve middle school students. After four more successful years, Excel Academy Charter High School opened in 2015. In spring 2019, we are excited to cheer on our first senior class as they become the first cohort to receive high school diplomas from Excel.
Duties & Responsibilities
Excel Academy is seeking Substitute School Nurses to cover/manage the school’s health program in our full time nurses' absence. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain a comprehensive school health program consistent with the Massachusetts guidelines, regulations and statutes governing nursing and school health, and Excel Academy’s policies;
- Using the nursing process, collaborate with the parent/guardian and student, where appropriate, to develop/implement and/or maintain individualized health care plan for the student;
- Assist students and families to achieve optimal levels of wellness through health education and promotion;
- Apply appropriate nursing theory as the basis for decision-making in the school setting while expanding knowledge and skills in response to the student health needs and participating in research; and
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel community.
- Must hold a BSN or RN with a Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline;
- Minimum of 1 year experience in public health nursing, community health nursing, school health nursing, or pediatric nursing;
- An ability to speak Spanish preferred, but not necessary;
- A commitment to addressing inequity in education;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the wiliness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas and programs.
Compensation: Excel provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.