Middle School Physical Education/Health Teacher
Excel Academy Charter Schools is a network of tuition-free, public charter schools serving the Massachusetts communities of East Boston and Chelsea. It was founded to address the severe academic underperformance and low college matriculation rates of the student populations in these neighborhoods. Our founders envisioned a free, public school alternative where all students would be held to the highest academic and behavioral expectations, and college would become a reality. As a true public school, Excel is defined not by whom we exclude but by whom we include in our community. We are proud of the fact that we serve many students with special needs.
The network’s first school opened in fall 2003 in East Boston and now serves 224 students, grades 5 through 8. Excel Academy Chelsea, the 2nd school in our network, opened in fall 2011. Our third school, Excel Academy Orient Heights, opened in August of 2012. And our first high school, Excel Academy Charter High School, opened in fall 2015. Excel now educates 1100+ students in grades 5-11. At full scale in 2019, Excel will enroll a total of 1,350 students in grades 5-12.
Duties and Responsibilities
Excel Academy believes that physical education programs have unique potential to drive student culture, and therefore, student learning. We seek an individual with the highest expectations for student performance and student character, both in academics and athletics.
The position will perform a variety of essential responsibilities, including (but not limited to):
- Teach physical education and health classes to all students in grades 5-8;
- Manage school athletics and athletic equipment;
- Manage culture-driving programs within the school, including Excel’s enrichment program;
- Design and implement extracurricular opportunities targeted toward groups of at-risk students;
- Provide coverage during instructional and non-instructional time;
- Serve as an advisor to a subset of students;
- Co-lead a homeroom;
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel Academy community; and
- Do whatever it takes to ensure the mission of the school is upheld.
- A bachelor’s degree is required; a master’s degree is preferred;
- A commitment to and belief in all students and the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- A commitment to addressing racial and economic inequity in education;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in receiving feedback for continuous improvement.
Preference will be given to applicants who also:
- Have experience in a public or charter school setting;
- Speak Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic fluently;
- Can speak to the importance of rigorous classroom instruction and culture;
- Can speak to the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Excel Academy Charter Schools is committed to building a diverse staff that reflects the community that we serve. We strongly encourage applications from candidates whose experiences share important points of intersection with those of our students. Staff who demonstrate fluency in Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic will also receive additional compensation.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.
Compensation: Excel provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.