High School Math Teacher
Founded in 2003 to provide a free, public, high-quality college preparatory education for the students of East Boston and Chelsea, Excel is proving that children’s ability to succeed in high school, college, and beyond is not determined by zip code. We have grown from one school serving approximately 200 students to a network of four schools serving more than 1,300 students, and our purpose and theory of change remains consistent: we believe that when a student has the support and tools to pursue a productive post-secondary pathway aligned with personal identity and values, it can fundamentally change his/her life trajectory. As a true public school, Excel is defined not by whom we exclude but by whom we include in our community. We are proud of the fact that we serve many students with special needs.
After 8 years of operating a small single-site middle school in East Boston, Excel was designated a “Proven Provider” by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and granted two additional charters to serve middle school students. After four more successful years, Excel Academy Charter High School opened in 2015. In spring 2019, we cheered on our founding senior class as they became the first cohort to receive high school diplomas from Excel.
About the Role
Excel teachers are responsible for delivering effective, high-quality, rigorous college-preparatory instruction designed to foster the success of their students. Teachers who thrive at Excel tend to be entrepreneurial instructors and hungry learners who crave frequent, high-quality feedback on their practice. They also have a great deal of passion and expertise in their content area that they are eager to share with students.
Duties & Responsibilities
This position will perform a variety of essential responsibilities, including (but not limited to):
- Teach math to several sections of high school students;
- Collaborate with department members to develop and refine Excel’s math curriculum;
- Design and implement rigorous assessments that evaluate student mastery of academic standards;
- Hold students accountable for high behavioral expectations and implement Excel’s behavior management system with consistency;
- Provide coverage as needed during non-instructional time;
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel Academy community; and
- Do whatever it takes to ensure the mission of the school is upheld
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree preferred;
- A minimum of two years’ teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but not required;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- A commitment to addressing racial and economic inequity in education;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas & programs.
Excel Academy Charter Schools is committed to building a diverse staff that reflects the community that we serve. We strongly encourage applications from candidates whose experiences share important points of intersection with those of our students. Staff who demonstrate fluency in Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic will also receive additional compensation.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.
Compensation: Excel provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.