Paraprofessional/1:1 Aide (Middle School)
Founded in 2003 to provide a free, public, high-quality college preparatory education for the students of East Boston and Chelsea, Excel is proving that children’s ability to succeed in high school, college, and beyond is not determined by zip code. We have grown from one school serving approximately 200 students to a network of four schools serving more than 1,300 students, and our purpose and theory of change remains consistent: we believe that when a student has the support and tools to pursue a productive post-secondary pathway aligned with personal identity and values, it can fundamentally change his/her life trajectory. As a true public school, Excel is defined not by whom we exclude but by whom we include in our community. We are proud of the fact that we serve many students with special needs.
After 8 years of operating a small single-site middle school in East Boston, Excel was designated a “Proven Provider” by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and granted two additional charters to serve middle school students. After four more successful years, Excel Academy Charter High School opened in 2015. In spring 2019, we cheered on our founding senior class as they became the first cohort to receive high school diplomas from Excel.
Duties & Responsibilities
Excel is seeking a Paraprofessional/1:1 Aide to:
- Provide small group or 1:1 behavioral & academic support to a student with special needs
- Provide 1:1 student support based on specific needs outlined in his/her IEP
- Provide inclusion support to students with special needs in General Education and Foundational level courses
- Work with staff to develop behavioral intervention plans and implement plans to ensure student learning and classroom behavior goals are met
- Work with staff to develop and provide academic support plans for student(s) with special needs
- Confer and collaborate with teachers to ensure accommodations are met in inclusive settings; and
- Provide input for student’s IEP
- A high school diploma or equivalent, AND
- An associate's (or higher) degree; OR
- Completion of 48 credit hours at an Institution of Higher Education; OR
- Completion of one of the formal Massachusetts-endorsed Assessments: Parapro or WorkKeys.
- A commitment to and belief in all students and the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- Experience working with students with substantial behavioral needs;
- Physical Restraint Training preferred, but not required
- A commitment to addressing racial and economic inequity in education;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in receiving feedback for continuous improvement.
Preference will be given to applicants who also:
- Have experience in a public or charter school setting;
- Speak Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic fluently;
- Can speak to the importance of rigorous classroom instruction and culture;
- Can speak to the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Excel Academy Charter Schools is committed to building a diverse staff that reflects the community that we serve. We strongly encourage applications from candidates whose experiences share important points of intersection with those of our students. Staff who demonstrate fluency in Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic will also receive additional compensation.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.
Compensation: Excel provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.