Principal Software Engineer
Principal Software Engineer
Location: Flexible, within the United States (Boston preferred)
Position is available: Immediately
We are seeking a full-time Principal Software Engineer to join our Engineering Team and help build products that support Achievement Network’s (ANet’s) mission. The ideal candidate will be passionate about cutting-edge development technologies and best practices, excited by technical challenges, and motivated to deliver software that impacts educational success. Reporting to the VP of Engineering, this person will play a key role in crafting and implementing a technology vision for the organization.
ANet is flexible to remote working with appropriate experience and a history of successfully collaborating with and mentoring other developers remotely. Monthly travel to ANet’s National Office in Boston will be necessary, so proximity to the New England area and eastern time zone is preferable.
● Partner with talented engineers to lead and define our next generation infrastructure and application architectures, including strategies to migrate existing applications to modern UI frameworks and microservices
● Drive, design, and implement system infrastructure solutions, including a shared application shell and integrations with performance profiling, debugging, automated testing, and build systems
● Collaborate with peers to quickly develop and deliver updated user-facing applications that are fast, elegant, and easy-to-use
● Keep abreast of new technologies and propose adoption as appropriate
● Actively embrace best software development practices and set the bar for high quality code
● Mentor and support the development of other engineers, providing them with coaching and learning opportunities to help them grow
● Proactively look for ways to help improve team culture and velocity
● Help deliver ANet’s next generation of technology products that support data-driven educational practices and help to close the achievement gap in the underserved communities we partner with
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
● You have direct experience architecting, implementing, delivering, and supporting high quality, enterprise-scale web applications using
o Performance optimization techniques
● You are a team player who motivates and educates colleagues; you enjoy working in a highly collaborative culture
● You are skilled in working closely with business partners to build technology solutions that meet the usability and functional needs of internal and external users
● You operate comfortably among a highly independent staff with diverse backgrounds
● You bring an innovative approach to analyze, evaluate and solve problems
● You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels
● You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily and are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet’s Advance Equity and People Matter values
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
● 10+ years of software development experience
Every student deserves opportunities in life, and every educator committed to providing those opportunities, deserves support. Those beliefs drive us to work alongside schools to support great teaching so that we can work towards guaranteeing that all students are receiving high quality instruction. We partner with over 900 schools - both district and charter - in underserved communities around the country, thus impacting more than 330,000 students. Third-party evaluations confirm that when schools have the right basic conditions in place and partner with ANet, they achieve 6-8 months of additional learning over a two-year period compared to schools not partnering with ANet.
At ANet we are committed to living out our core values, both across our organization and with our partner schools. We acknowledge that systemic inequities impact student access to opportunities and that in order to ensure educational equity for all students, we must center on the experiences of those from marginalized communities to guide our work. We work to deepen our understanding of how race, class, power and privilege influence the education system as well as influence our own perspectives. To do so, we provide ongoing learning opportunities through org-wide professional development, affinity groups, working groups, and resource sharing.
Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to be part of a dynamic, values driven, and team-oriented organization that is committed to having impact in schools by investing in each other and learning together. We were named as The NonProfit Time’s “Best Nonprofits to Work For” and work tirelessly to foster a working environment where the unique perspectives, backgrounds, and identities of our staff members are valued.
ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 3 weeks of vacation (4 weeks after two years with ANet); 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays; a paid floating holiday; paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
We are now accepting applications for this position, which will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please click on the blue “Apply” button. You will then be prompted to complete a brief application and upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter in which you outline why you are interested in working for ANet and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.