Managing Director, District and State Instructional Design
Managing Director, District and State Instructional Design
Location: Flexible within the United States; some travel may be required
(Travel contingent upon organizational/state/federal regulations)
Position is available: Immediately
Every student deserves opportunities in life, and every educator committed to providing those opportunities deserves support. Those beliefs drive us to work alongside schools to support great teaching so that we can work towards guaranteeing that all students are receiving high quality instruction. We partner with over 900 schools - both district and charter - in underserved communities around the country, thus impacting more than 330,000 students. Third-party evaluations confirm that when schools have the right basic conditions in place and partner with ANet, they achieve 6-8 months of additional learning over a two-year period compared to schools not partnering with ANet.
At ANet we are committed to living out our core values, both across our organization and with our partner schools. We acknowledge that systemic inequities impact student access to opportunities and that in order to ensure educational equity for all students, we must center on the experiences of those from marginalized communities to guide our work. We work to deepen our understanding of how race, class, power and privilege influence the education system as well as influence our own perspectives. To do so, we provide ongoing learning opportunities through org-wide professional development, affinity groups, working groups, and resource sharing.
Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to be part of a dynamic, values driven, and team-oriented organization that is committed to having impact in schools by investing in each other and learning together. We were named as The NonProfit Times “Best Nonprofits to Work For” and work tirelessly to foster a working environment where the unique perspectives, backgrounds, and identities of our staff members are valued.
We are seeking a Managing Director (MD) of District and State Instructional Design to shape the design, evolution, and essential tools and resources for ANet’s system and state level offerings. In this role, you will sit on ANet’s Program team and work alongside the System Services team to evolve resources and tools for our strategy and implementation offerings from our System Services team. The MD of District and State Instructional Design will fine-tune ANet’s system offerings and build out a potential state-based strategy based on outcomes and partner demand, design new offerings for needs that arise in the future, and ensure that ANet’s overall math and literacy strategies work coherently at all levels of a system. The ideal candidate has a track record of success in leading academic initiatives at the district or CMO level, working closely with individuals who influence or have authority over curricular decisions, and experience in building and sustaining productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders. The MD of District and State Instructional Design will report to the Vice President of Service and Content.
Develop the instructional strategy behind ANet’s system offerings
● Strengthen ANet’s system coaching by grounding in implementation science and researched best practices that lead to equitable instruction and developing a clear vision for communication, change management, and effective execution
● Using the lens of system needs, ensure alignment across all levels of ANet’s math, literacy, leadership, and assessment strategies. Stay abreast of current and emerging research in the education field to inform the overall design of instructional strategy.
● Learn from current state engagements to form an opinion about what an aligned state strategy might be and how it should complement and influence the entry point of system level work
● Internally and externally promote our learnings on how system-level leaders best support standards-based, data-driven instruction
Create tools and resources that support the implementation of ANet’s offering and align to ANet’s logic model and measurement plan
● Leveraging effective practices and approaches of leading education entities, hone ANet’s point of view on how to drive academic planning at the school system level
● Develop the tools and resources that system coaches will use to set and pursue goals with partners, shaped through an equity lens and aligned to our logic model, such as:
○ Templates for needs assessment, goal-setting, progress monitoring, and measurement (i.e. survey and reflection tools)
○ Sample arc of interactions for each offering (i.e., sample project plans broken down by quarter)
○ Stock slide decks with facilitator notes
○ Sample completed project documents, such as a needs assessment, goal-setting, final summary, etc.
● Ensure that tools and resources are user-friendly and enhance system coaches’ efficiency and effectiveness
● Evaluate the effectiveness of tools and refine the tools based on learnings
Drive short- and long-term system offering design to increase impact and sales
● Evaluate current offerings through the lens of partner demand, feasibility of execution, sustainability of design, and achievement of outcomes and recommend changes to offerings over time in order to strengthen their performance against these criteria
● Design and pilot approaches to state-specific offerings to determine if state work should become a permanent part of our offerings, define its role in our logic model, and the offering elements (tools, resources, methods) that would need to be built out and maintained
● Evolve the system services logic model alongside the offering, including the potential addition of state work, and ensure we have the measures needed to adequately evaluate the offering
● Conduct external research on the emergent needs of school systems along with potential solutions to position ANet as a well-prepared, cutting edge partner
● Evaluate opportunities to and suggest approaches for new and varied entry points for partnerships with districts and states
● Coach ANet’s sales and partnership management teams on ANet’s offerings to maximize our sales and renewals
○ Ensure ANet’s sales and partnership management team have a strong understanding of the purpose and approach to our offerings
○ Engage in regular two-way feedback loops with service and sales teams to understand effectiveness of existing offerings on partner outcomes, satisfaction, renewal, and expansion and to get feedback about needs from partners that could inform future offerings
WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU BRING
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
● You are a proven school system leader who has led successful academic initiatives at the district, CMO, or state level
● You have deep strength in instructional strategy, supported by years of experience, leading to an ability to quickly add value as a key partner to the system services team
● You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of system and school leaders, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels
● You have excellent skills in relationship building and in spotting strengths, allowing you to honor and build from successes and current work of the system team while also introducing new knowledge and approaches
● You have a clear vision of what breakthrough instructional practices look like at the classroom, school, and systems level and are knowledgeable about standards- and data-driven instruction
● You bring strong strategic thinking and analytical skills which allow you to assess multiple data points, quickly diagnose needs, and determine solutions
● You thrive on seeking out and absorbing new information and applying it to a need or challenge; you take a “roll up your sleeves and do the work” approach to tackling new challenges; your habits include reaching out to internal and external experts to inform your best thinking
● You believe in the power of formative assessment, coaching, and professional development as critical levers in school improvement
● You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily. You are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet’s Advance Equity and People Matter values, and our work towards becoming an anti-racist organization.
ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; generous paid time-off including: vacation, 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays, a paid floating holiday, paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
We are now accepting applications for this position, which will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please click on the blue “Apply” button.
This role is not intended to be performed in Colorado.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.