Senior IP Counsel
There are few jobs in this world that mandate a person play video games for a living, especially for attorneys. If that sounds like a dream job to you, then read on. Zynga is looking for an outstanding leader to join its legal department as Senior Counsel, Intellectual Property. If you are highly detail-oriented, can spot complicated legal issues, and can advise the business on managing risk while prioritizing our players’ experience, then we encourage you to apply.
The role will report to the Head of Zynga’s Privacy and Products within the Legal department, and will work closely with our global game development studios.
As part of our team, you will lead the efforts to protect and manage the intellectual property created here at Zynga, and have the opportunity to gain exposure to all aspects of our in-house legal work, including corporate, litigation, commercial, employment and more. Level up your career with Zynga.
- Advise and support game, product, and marketing teams across Zynga by providing strategic guidance on all IP issues (copyright, trademark, right of publicity, trade secret protection, IP competitive analysis, domain name registrations, open source)
- Provide IP support relating to commercial transactions (e.g., M&A and post-acquisition integration, publishing, partnerships), including IP analysis, strategy, and diligence
- Handle or support outbound and inbound IP licensing transactions
- Develop and implement IP training, policies, and usage guidelines across Zynga
- Support IP clearance processes (e.g., content review, trademark clearances, marketing clearances, invention disclosures)
- Lead domain name prosecution, process, and strategy
- Lead online enforcement efforts, including DMCA, social media, domain name, and other enforcement
- Handle or support additional disputes relating to Zynga’s intellectual property, including administrative or trademark-office disputes, pre-litigation matters, and litigation
- Effectively manage outside counsel and legal budgets
- Lead internal counsel and operate as the chief evangelist on IP matters for all products and entities
- Represent Zynga at various conferences and events concerning legal or public policy issues
- Contribute to company success by engaging in areas of law and business beyond core practice area
- JD degree from an ABA accredited university
- Member of the California or Texas Bar
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience in a law firm and/or corporate law department required
- Strong knowledge of intellectual property and open source laws and regulations with an enthusiasm to continue to build new skills and gain cross-functional experience
- Track record of successfully negotiating and executing domestic and global IP license agreements, joint development agreements, and technology transfer agreements
- Passion for video gaming, social networking, mobile, and Internet business models
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal skills and the ability to interface with, and gain the respect of, stakeholders at all levels of the company, including senior management
- Ability to handle ambiguity, juggle many matters at once, and quickly shift from one situation or task to another in an intense, fast-paced multi-cultural environment
- Strong analytical and problem-resolution skills; exceptional business judgment, with the ability to think strategically and give practical advice by balancing business needs with legal risks
- Commitment to furthering company-wide diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts
- Zynga Stock RSUs and Bonus Plan
- Full medical, dental, vision benefits as well as life insurance
- Catered lunch daily
- Generous Paid Maternity/Paternity leave
- Open vacation policy for many employees
- Flexible working hours on many teams
- Casual dress every single day
- Work with cool people!
Zynga is an equal opportunity employer. We are proud of our diverse community; we do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other class or characteristic protected by applicable law. We welcome candidates, players, employees, and partners from all backgrounds. Join us!
Zynga will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
Zynga is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need an accommodation during the interview process, please let us know.