Senior QA Analyst
We’re BossAlien, part of the NaturalMotion family, our mission is to bring AAA console visuals and deep, compelling gameplay to mobile platforms. As a key member of our team, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with a diverse team of experienced developers and utilize leading-edge technology and content pipelines.
In 2018 & 2019, NaturalMotion Studios were named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz!
We're looking for a QA Engineer to join our studio in central Brighton and be part of a new, premiere mobile game set in the Star Wars universe! The role offers an opportunity to work with an incredible team to build the next success story in mobile gaming. We are looking for someone who is diligent and driven to create the best possible experience for our players. You will build, maintain, and share a body of expertise concerning all aspects of the project, helping your colleagues towards a deeper understanding of the systems and concepts they are testing.
The QA Engineer has QA, technical and project expertise, and works to drive and support quality. They plan and execute tests that build confidence and reduce risk. They support high priority features whilst ensuring timely delivery. They communicate issues with efficiency and clarity. The QA Engineer understands client/server relationships and other key architecture concepts.
Key roles & responsibilities:
- Works as part of an embedded QA team, alongside engineers, artists, and designers
- Works with outsource QA teams to achieve phenomenal results, including detailing, mentoring where appropriate and fielding questions
- Contributes toward test suite creation and maintenance
- Speaks as QA representative with production, engineering, design and partner teams
- Will be delegated areas of QA that require independent analysis to assess potential test approaches
- Executes tests on an ad-hoc basis as required by the project’s needs
- Assists in the tracking of quality metrics to continuously assess and refine working processes and practice. Speaks up if they think change is needed.
- Proposes additional debug functionality and other tooling support that would support and empower QA.
- Investigates prospective tools and evaluates what they can offer. Skill shares with peers for any tool that is adopted.
- Highlights past mistakes in a constructive way, and collaborates to understand the why then work to improve for the future. Where vital share improvements with other teams.
- Helps ensure a positive, professional, and collaborative team environment is maintained within and between fields and teams.
- Experienced tester who can craft their own tests and iterate on them
- Understanding of QA processes and testing terminology
- Familiarity with mobile software/games development lifecycles and methodology
- Experience reviewing and writing test cases, and providing feedback to peers
- Understanding of client/server testing and the importance of metadata
- Familiar with source control solutions such as Perforce, GIT or SVN
- Familiar with build management tools, such as Jenkins or Pulse
- Familiar with industry-standard bug reporting software such as JIRA or Hansoft
- Good communication skills including in cross-discipline conversations
- Ability to work closely with production teams
- Ability to estimate and manage own time
- Ability to perform risk and root cause analysis
- Experience creating QA documentation
- Understanding of the mobile market and the challenges of mobile hardware
- Passion and desire to learn
- Experience working in Agile environments
- Experience in live operations
- Familiarity with development tools such as Unity or Unreal, Xcode, the Android SDK, etc
- Experience working with best practice groups or central QA structures
- Experience working with Test Rail or similar TCM systems
- Ability to read code, data and scripting information
- Any knowledge of coding in at least one but preferably multiple languages i.e. C, C++, C#, Java, Ruby etc
- Test automation experience
WHAT DO WE OFFER?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme and Zynga stock allowance
- Contributory pension scheme
- 25 day’s holiday, plus public holidays and Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance and critical illness insurance
- Discounted gym membership
- Flexible working hours
- Free fruit, snacks & soft drinks provided daily, as well as free lunch on Mondays
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Summer and Christmas parties and Happy Hour every Friday
NaturalMotion is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, pregnancy, marital status or veteran status.