Level Designer - Star Wars IP
We’re BossAlien, part of the NaturalMotion family, our mission is to bring AAA console visuals and deep, compelling gameplay to mobile platforms. As a key member of our team, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with a diverse team of experienced developers and utilize leading-edge technology and content pipelines. In 2018, NaturalMotion Studios were named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
As Game Designer (Level), you will be a crafter of levels and content for a new, premiere mobile shooter set in the Star Wars Universe. You will plan and construct play spaces, build encounter content, and work with creative leadership to make fun and delightful maps for our game.
You are a passionate fan of the shooter genre, and understand what makes your favourite maps and levels great, from well-placed chokepoints to smartly constructed player flow. You’re a proponent for designing through constant playtest and iteration, and are an ardent voice for the practice on the design team and to the studio at large.
You are a storyteller, not with words but with the game environment itself. You know that storytelling is a function of visual elements, emergent gameplay moments, and the interaction of systems and environments in novel ways that continually surprise and delight the player.
Finally, you have a love and admiration for the Star Wars universe, and embrace the opportunity to make your mark and tell your story within one of the most beloved and storied franchises of all time.
This role reports to the Design Director.
- Design and playtest gameplay levels using greybox/editor tools.
- Work with art, creative leadership, and other designers to create environments that adhere to the vision for the game.
- Design, iterate, and polish levels through playtest with the team.
- Envision and implement quest, encounter, and event content in editor.
- Level design experience on a high-quality 1st or 3rd person game on any platform, shooters preferred. (PC/Console/Mobile)
- Well versed in industry-standard editors and tools.
- Deeply familiar with the construction of environments and play spaces in AAA shooters. Ideally, you’ve shipped one.
- Able to collaborate well with artists and other creative professionals to communicate your vision for the game world.
- A believer in the power, reach, and potential of the next generation of mobile gaming, even if you’ve never built one before.
- Experience with Maya/Max or comparable 3D tools a plus.
What Do We Offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme and Zynga stock allowance
- Create next-gen games that will be played and loved by millions of players around the world
- Work in a family-oriented, collaborative team that invests in your development and growth on-the-job
- A diverse team of friendly, fun and supportive co-workers
- Flexible working hours & crunch-free working culture
- Communal music and laid-back atmosphere
- Summer/Christmas parties and Happy Hour in the studio each Friday
- 25 days plus Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance and critical illness insurance
- 6 months fully paid maternity leave or 3 months fully paid paternity leave
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Well stocked office kitchen and free lunch on Mondays
NaturalMotion is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, pregnancy, marital status or veteran status.