Principle AI Engineer - StarWars IP
We’re BossAlien, part of the NaturalMotion family and our mission is to bring AAA console visuals and deep, compelling gameplay to mobile platforms.
As a key member of our team, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with a diverse team of experienced developers and utilize leading-edge technology and content pipelines. In 2018 & 2019, NaturalMotion Studios were named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
As AI Engineer you will be responsible for bringing NPCs to life and driving the behaviour of opponent automation in a new, premiere mobile game in the Star Wars universe that will engage with millions of players daily.
You’ll be skilled in implementing 3rd person character behaviours, that are fun, performant, and believable. You will work as part of the gameplay team, and work closely with a diverse and inspiring team of designers, engineers, artists & animators.
This is a rare and unique opportunity to build a landmark title in the games industry based on one of the worlds most beloved creative properties.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Architect and implement AI systems and features.
- Collaborate with designers, artists, and other engineers.
- Create and maintain tools and workflows that improve engineering and design productivity.
- Iterate on existing features and systems to improve game-feel, performance, and stability.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Experience as an engineer shipping games in a commercial environment.
- Production-to-Live experience of a game development project.
- Excellent C++.
- Expertise with UE4, particularly with gameplay and AI related systems.
- Experience with networked games using a client/server architecture.
- Solid architecture, system design, and analytical skills.
- Self-motivated and energetic teammate with a cooperative mindset.
- Ability to write clear, maintainable, portable code.
- Strong debugging skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences including designers, artists, QA and other developers.
- Knowledge of software engineering/architecture and design patterns.
- Strong curiosity and acumen in game design principles and theories.
- Passionate about game development and the future of the medium.
- Shipping experience on non-mobile platforms (Windows, Switch, PS4, Xbox One).
- AAA-level game project credits.
- Live game experience, supporting content updates and developing new features.
- Shooter and/or Action game development experience.
- Excellent 3D math skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme and Zynga stock allowance
- Contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday, plus public holidays and Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance and critical illness insurance
- Flexible working hours
- Free fruit, snacks & soft drinks provided daily
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Summer and Christmas parties
NaturalMotion is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, pregnancy, marital status or veteran status.