Senior Game Data Scientist - Racing
At NaturalMotion, we make games that wow people. We innovate to create experiences that previously were impossible and that would not exist without us. We take pride in making titles that reach a large audience and in creating communities that last. For the past three years NaturalMotion Studios have been named as one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
Our Racing Studio - responsible for the CSR Racing franchise and the #1 Racing Game on Mobile CSR2 - is one of the most ambitious, successful, and creatively inclusive studios in the UK. Based across three locations – London, Birmingham and Bangalore - the team loves welcoming diverse, humble, straightforward and ambitious talent, aspiring for award-winning excellence. People who want to find a place where they will be supported and encouraged to do the best work of their career.
We have millions of players that generate rich and complex datasets alongside a strong analytics infrastructure. Our data science roles help us deliver huge impact direct to players and in supporting capabilities. We invest in learning and development and believe in strong analytical partners working with other key disciplines. We have strong data culture capabilities making us a compelling career destination.
You will enjoy combining analytical/technical skills with an eye for business to deliver value in our game studios and ensure we offer amazing player experience. Contributing to high performing discipline as part of a talented and encouraging team.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Deliver actionable insight as a cross-discipline partner to influence decisions/roadmaps:
- Analytically problem solve: all methods focusing on Discovery, Prescription, Optimization
- Efficiently apply the best machine learning models in production and at scale
- Impactfully communicates with compelling visuals /strong storytelling.
- Working knowledge of experimentation when partnering with cross disciplines
- Deliver good technical capabilities:
- Object orientated programming in production with strong programming principles
- Provide best in class visualization/tools/techniques to share with peers
- Collaborate on end to end data projects: Telemetry >ETL’s > tools (end-user /players)
- Apply mathematical rigour/critical thinking to optimise and personalise the user experiences
- Contribute to the innovative thinking culture of our local and global analytics discipline
- Be an effective cross discipline partner in studio, collaborate with global analytics community
Required Skills & Experience
- Proven track record in similar roles, preferably within gaming, technology or digital
- BSc or BA.: Data Science, Math, Statistics, Comp Science preferred; advanced degrees welcome
- Confident in manipulating, transforming, and analysing complex data at large scales
- SQL and Python at production-grade level, excited to learn new languages where needed
- Big Data infrastructures: Vertica, Spark, Databricks or others e.g. Redshift, Snowflake, etc.
- Building out bespoke visuals/tools using open source technology or BI tools e.g. Tableau
- Evolving an idea from inception to robust and scalable implementation
- Passionate about the discipline, enjoys career growth with strong data science thought leadership
- Enjoys working in a dynamic environment with opportunity to multitask on parallel projects
- Excellent communication skills, comfortable explaining complex ideas clearly and simply
- Strong balance of business acumen alongside analytical and technical skills
- Strong attention to detail, natural curiosity with ability to problem-solve creatively
- Good influencing skills and enjoys working with partners across disciplines
Desirable Skills & Experience
- An interest in the games market and/or enjoys engaging in games /digital apps
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme and Zynga stock allowance
- Contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday, plus public holidays and Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance and critical illness insurance
- Flexible working hours
- Free fruit, snacks & soft drinks provided daily
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Summer and Christmas parties
NaturalMotion is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, pregnancy, marital status or veteran status.