Engineering Manager, Emerging Technologies
Position: Engineering Manager
Location: San Jose, CA USA or Burnaby, Canada
For over 10 years, Zscaler has been disrupting and transforming the security industry. Our cloud platform delivers security and access management as a service through 150 global data centers to securely connect users to their applications, regardless of device, location, or network in over 185 countries protecting over 3,900 companies and have detected 100 Million threats/day.
We work in a fast-paced, dynamic, and make it happen culture. Our people are some of the brightest and passionate in the industry that thrives on being the first to solve problems. We are always looking to hire highly passionate, collaborative, and humble people that want to make a difference.
Zscaler is looking for a highly motivated and talented Engineering Manager to work on Zscaler
Emerging Technology product group. Engineering Manager is a role encompassing multiple aspects of program delivery, technical leadership, and people management. This position includes responsibilities for providing overall leadership to the team, setting a direction for the team, ensuring all commitments are met. This person will lead a Networking and systems team consisting of individual contributors from the software engineering discipline. You will be working with a team of engineers and architects and will be responsible for prototyping, designing, developing, and supporting a highly scalable SaaS-based cloud service product called ZPA (Zscaler Private Access).
The ideal candidate has a proven track record of building large scale enterprise products, and is a creative thinker, problem solver, teacher, learner, and a fantastic manager of people, and is motivated with engineering excellence.
Responsibilities/What You’ll Do
- Passionate about building a best in class product with a focus on RAS – Reliability, Availability, and Scalability.
- Passionate about building a world-class team that excels at developing innovative product
- Customer-focused and highly driven to solve real problems for customers
- Driving quality process and trustworthy computing initiatives throughout the product lifecycle to eliminate architecture, design, and coding defects at the source
- Ensuring performance, security, scale, reliability, operational and cost optimization criteria are met
- Communicating technical solutions to all levels within-group and cross-discipline. status reporting and presenting solutions is an integral part of the job
- Ensure highly available services with zero downtime. Be responsible for developing and running services in partnership with the operations teams.
- Participate in architecture reviews related to performance and scalability of products
- Produce high-quality software following good architecture and design principles that you and your team will find it easy to work with in the future
- Ensure that you maximize the productivity of your team, especially by predicting and resolving obstacles and dependencies before they’re needed
- Put in place and enforce best-in-class processes for ensuring high quality and high uptime for the product developed by the team
- Manage day to day direction of the development team
- Setting up an engineering strategy for the team both from technical and business front
- Ensuring that all programs are delivered with agreed-upon business value, on time, and highest quality
- Managing a rapidly growing software engineering team of strong individual contributors
- Contributing to talent hiring, people skill development, setting objectives and goals
- 8+ years of hands-on development experience including relevant experience developing networking and systems software products and solutions with experience in TCP/IP, UDP, and networking protocols.
- Experience in designing, developing, and maintaining a large code base with C programming language.
- Experience with working cross-functionally like DevOps, QA, Product Management, and Support.
- Ability to lead and influence team members to forge consensus on technical discussions including architectural and design guidelines, code reviews, release process, etc.
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization, both orally and written
- Very strong software engineering - design, development and testing, experience.
- Good understanding of design / architectural patterns and automation platforms.
- Proven experience on Requirement/Design/Code Review & Inspections practices
- Good on Estimation Practices: Effort and Schedule
- Experience in Development processes like creating technical and architectural documents and QA processes like designing test plans, functional testing, end to end scenario automation, performance, and security testing.
- MS or equivalent with 8 years of experience.
- Zscaler is the world’s leading software-as-a-service security platform
- We deliver best of breed security services with unprecedented scale
- 100 Million threats detected a day across 185+ countries
- Glassdoor rating of 4.7/5.0 + 98% CEO Approval = Exceptional place to work!
- People who excel at Zscaler are smart, motivated and share our values. Ask yourself: Do you want to team with the best talent in the industry? Do you want to work on disruptive technology? Do you thrive in a fluid work environment? Do you appreciate a company culture that enables individual and group success and celebrates achievement? If you said yes, we’d love to talk to you about joining our award-winning team.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.