Sr Software Engineer, Backend
Zapponian [noun|employee of Zappos]. You are self-motivated. You think like an entrepreneur, constantly innovating and driving positive change, but more importantly, you consistently deliver mind-boggling results.
Bold [adjective|not afraid of anything]. A role at Zappos is an opportunity to be a part of something different. To go bold. We’re a company that isn’t afraid to take risks and question the status quo. Oh yeah, we like to have fun too.
Perks [noun|the good stuff you get for working hard]. Zappos pays 100% of your medical, dental and vision premiums. Primary care visits, dental exams, eye exams and generic prescriptions are all free. Plus matching 401k, life coaches, orthodontic benefits, and more. And don’t forget, an unlimited 40% Zappos.com discount.
1990s [noun|a decade we love, but no longer live in]. Old school cover letters are so 1990. Want to show us who you really are? Create a video cover letter. A flash mob, a comedic monologue… whatever showcases your passion for Zappos and the work you’d be doing! Videos are not required, but if you create it, we’ll watch it.
Scout [noun|you're a recruiter, too]. As a Zapponian, we’ll ask that you always keep your eye out for great talent to join our family. Consider yourself an extension of the recruiting team, scouting for the best people to grow our company.
Zappos IP, Inc. is looking for a Senior Backend Software Engineer!
What skills do you need?
We are looking for an experienced Senior Software Engineer focused on Backend Web Technologies. Some of the technologies we use are Java, Python, AWS, Elixir, Node, React/Redux. Our general approach is language agnostic, choosing the best language for the job. We are ideally looking for a "T-shaped developer" — someone who has a broad interest and understanding of technology and the web, but also has deep interest in a specialized area. Being a Zappos developer sometimes isn’t a full-time programming job. We want someone who has their own big ideas, loves brainstorming sessions, and will participate in user research.
What kind of people do we want?
Zappos Tech is always in search of people that are self-starters, visionary thinkers, and people who don’t mind a little bit of ambiguity. There are many open ended problems that there are no solutions for...yet.
What you will be doing on a daily basis:
- Improve, debug and maintain REST APIs that power the zappos.com customer facing website. Thinking about scalability, monitoring and security 100% of the time.
- Designing applications from top to bottom. Using your experience and analytical skills to pick between many options with different pros and cons.
- Troubleshooting and fixing tough problems, not being afraid to dig into the details. Hitting quick deadlines and knowing when to push back on requirements
- Mentoring other developers, raising the bar on coding standards and providing meaningful feedback on code changes
- Collaborating with UX, Product Management and other Engineers to think up and build experiments. Iteratively improving the customer experience
- Standing on the front lines to help solve the problems of the day.
- Working in a relaxed atmosphere full of a diverse set of people and skills
- 5-7+ years production software development experience
- BS or MS in Computer Science (or related field)
- Solid computer science fundamentals (theory, data structures, algorithms)
- Experience with web services
- Experience with unit/integration testing
- A deep understanding of Java 8 and experience with the Spring Framework
- Experience with AWS technologies including DynamoDB, Elastic Beanstalk, ECS, SQS, SNS, S3
- Experience with React, Nodejs and Redux
- Frontend development skills
- Experience with dev ops automation and a reflexive cringe when the continuous deployment pipeline is broken
- Have made major contributions to the design and/or architecture of multiple production projects.... preferably ones that have thousands or millions of users.
- You have strong opinions but also have a strong desire to learn
- A desire to teach others what you know
- You like birthday cake... lots and lots of cake
Don’t See Your Dream Job?
That’s okay! We are always looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers to join our world-class technology team. Leave your information and once we open our next role and you meet what we’re looking for, we’ll reach out to you!
Zappos Tech typically hires for the following positions:
- Product/Program/Project Managers
- Data Scientist/Data Analysts
- Technical Project Managers
- Software Engineers
- Frontend Engineers
- UX Designers
- Mobile Engineers
- Network, Security and System Engineers