MBA Leadership Development Program
Zapponian [noun|employee of Zappos]. You are self-motivated. You think like an entrepreneur, constantly innovating and driving positive change, but more importantly, you consistently deliver mind-boggling results.
Bold [adjective|not afraid of anything]. A role at Zappos is an opportunity to be a part of something different. To go bold. We’re a company that isn’t afraid to take risks and question the status quo. Oh yeah, we like to have fun too.
Perks [noun|the good stuff you get for working hard]. Zappos pays 100% of your medical, dental and vision premiums. Primary care visits, dental exams, eye exams and generic prescriptions are all free. Plus matching 401k, life coaches, orthodontic benefits, and more. And don’t forget, an unlimited 40% Zappos.com discount.
1990s [noun|a decade we love, but no longer live in]. Old school cover letters are so 1990. Want to show us who you really are? Create a video cover letter. A flash mob, a comedic monologue… whatever showcases your passion for Zappos and the work you’d be doing! Videos are not required, but if you create it, we’ll watch it.
Scout [noun|you're a recruiter, too]. As a Zapponian, we’ll ask that you always keep your eye out for great talent to join our family. Consider yourself an extension of the recruiting team, scouting for the best people to grow our company.
MBA Leadership Development Program
The MBA Leadership Development Program is designed to expose recently graduated MBA candidates to the fast-paced retail, e-commerce, and fashion industries. This is a rigorous two-year program that will place candidates through four, six-month long rotations where they will learn various aspects of the Zappos business.
The Zappos Journey
The Zappos Family of Companies is a subsidiary of Amazon.com. We carry millions of products from over 1000 footwear and apparel brands. Established in 1999, we are located in Las Vegas, NV.
At Zappos.com, our purpose is simple: to live and deliver WOW.
Twenty years ago, we began as a small online retailer that only sold shoes. Today, we still sell shoes — as well as clothing, handbags, accessories, and more. That "more" is providing the very best customer service, customer experience, and company culture. We aim to inspire the world by showing it's possible to simultaneously deliver happiness to customers, employees, vendors, shareholders, and the community in a long-term, sustainable way.
We hope that in the future people won't even realize we started selling shoes online. Instead, they'll know Zappos as a service company that just happens to sell ________.
Over the last few years, Zappos has taken strides to eliminate the common fates that most companies of our age and size contend with: slowing innovation and evolution, too many management levels, bottle-necked decision-making, disengaged employees, etc... (Just to name a few). The next phase of our journey, Market-Based Dynamics (MBD), allows us to continue momentum in creating and maximizing long-term organizational value through self-organization and self-management. MBD allows Zapponians the entrepreneurial freedom needed to make customer-centric business ideas come to life so that Zappos becomes a long-term sustainable company.
Purpose of our MBA Leadership Development Program:
To develop a pipeline of future leaders through a combination of challenging cross-functional assignments, leadership training, continual development, and exposure to senior leadership.
In this program you will:
- Participate in four cross-functional rotations within Finance, Marketing, Merchandise Portfolio, and Merchandise Strategy; each lasting approximately six months
- Collaborate with other program participants to analyze company performance and present findings and recommendations to E-Commerce to empower better decision making
- Document roles and responsibilities through every rotation and ensuring a smooth transition out of roles and speedy ramp up into new roles by cross-training amongst program participants
- Participate in performance review process
- Mentor incoming program participants to ensure all participants are set up for success throughout the two-year program
- Represent MBA Leadership Development Program internally and externally, as well as participate in recruiting and educational events to build and strengthen the program
- Complete assigned tasks in cross-functional rotations: Finance, Marketing, Merchandise Portfolio, and Merchandise Strategy
- Demonstrate experience in project management and the ability to work collaboratively cross functionally.
- Ability to influentially lead others and be an exceptional team player, signifying advanced interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- Strong analytical capabilities - able to research complex information and produce summaries utilizing strong numerical and statistical skills.
- Can move nimbly between strategy and execution.
- Strong presentation skills with the ability to adjust to various audiences ranging from senior leadership and cross-functional peers to external partners.
- Self-motivated and highly ambitious.
- Ability to uphold and abide by company
- Strong in Microsoft Office applications (i.e. Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Currently enrolled at a top business school with an MBA graduation date between May 2019 and June of 2020.
- Must be willing to live in Las Vegas, NV
- Some travel may be required (up to 25%)
- At least 2 years of professional work experience
- Familiarity with e-commerce, retail, and/or fashion industry
Interested and want to learn more? Read on for a breakdown of the four rotations.
Purpose: To define and support strategies to drive Merchandising’s growth priorities and roadmap. Optimize portfolio to drive profit.
- Support annual assessment of growth drivers, strategic priorities, category roles, and a strategic vendor matrix
- Support execution of profit optimization efforts to help drive profit
- Support vertical efforts through analysis, reporting, and managing execution of roadmap
- Identify and analyze new business development opportunities, manage life stage prioritization framework, research prioritized companies, and work with New Business Development team on building pitch decks
- Support Creative Strategy by institutionalizing and improving annual and seasonal creative calendar defined by macro consumer trends and insights and trend forecasts
- Conduct post-market download meetings to align on big items, brands, stories and lead Creative Council Meetings to execute creative calendar with cross functional partners
- Operate cross-functionally with Portfolio, Competitive Market Analytics, Marketing, Finance, and Customer Research
Purpose: To perform budgeting, forecasting, and in-depth analysis of financial data to articulate the drivers of performance, help align business processes and strategies with financial goals, and to evaluate progress toward those goals.
- Analyze/monitor current and past sales performance in key metrics, perform variance analysis, and identify trends across all sales channels
- Analyze complex financial information and reports to provide accurate and timely financial recommendations to management
- Prepare the daily and month-end financial reporting to Zappos senior leadership by collecting, analyzing, formatting, and explaining financial information
- Develop financial models and analyses to support strategic initiatives
- Perform market research, data mining, and business intelligence to anticipate the financial impact of strategic decisions
- Increase productivity by developing automated reporting/forecasting tools
- Develop visual representations to articulate input and output metrics into actionable recommendations
- Collaborate with e-commerce stakeholders to provide actionable insights to the business
Purpose: To plan, execute, and measure the effectiveness marketing plans focused on developing new ways to engage with existing and new customers that optimize conversion.
- Report on marketing program performance to stakeholders; develop customer engagement and acquisition strategies that increase top line growth
- Collaborate with brand partnerships and creative services to create, execute, and optimize brand marketing plans
- Work closely with the Paid Social Advertising to track, manage, and optimize advertising spend on social platforms (i.e. Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest)
- Align and work cross-functionally with the merchandising team to ensure effective promotion of new and existing product on marketing assets
- Design, track, and implement marketing tests that improve marketing channel performance (e.g. website, social, etc.)
Purpose: To provide analytical support for merchandise team, drive automation and system improvements, assist in planning and forecasting, and identify potential areas of risk and opportunity within the business.
- Assist in the Planning and Forecasting for both for Existing as well as new brands.
- Preparing analytic reporting for Vendor meetings.
- Manage Competitive Pricing functions, Sale Event review and approval, and Site Visibility auditing for assigned Business Units.
- Review and identify risks and opportunities from both a sales and inventory perspective.
- Create weekly and monthly sales reporting for both internal and external business partners.
Don’t See Your Dream Job?
Sign up to become a Zappos Insider and be the first to know about new opportunities at Zappos!