Lead Software Engineer, Android
Zapponian [noun|employee of Zappos]. You are self-motivated. You think like an entrepreneur, constantly innovating and driving positive change, but more importantly, you consistently deliver mind-boggling results.
Bold [adjective|not afraid of anything]. A role at Zappos is an opportunity to be a part of something different. To go bold. We’re a company that isn’t afraid to take risks and question the status quo. Oh yeah, we like to have fun too.
Perks [noun|the good stuff you get for working hard]. Zappos pays 100% of your medical, dental and vision premiums. Primary care visits, dental exams, eye exams and generic prescriptions are all free. Plus matching 401k, life coaches, orthodontic benefits, and more. And don’t forget, an unlimited 40% Zappos.com discount.
1990s [noun|a decade we love, but no longer live in]. Old school cover letters are so 1990. Want to show us who you really are? Create a video cover letter. A flash mob, a comedic monologue… whatever showcases your passion for Zappos and the work you’d be doing! Videos are not required, but if you create it, we’ll watch it.
Scout [noun|you're a recruiter, too]. As a Zapponian, we’ll ask that you always keep your eye out for great talent to join our family. Consider yourself an extension of the recruiting team, scouting for the best people to grow our company.
Zappos.com is looking for a Lead Software Engineer, Android!
What you’ll be doing:
- You will be a key member of the Zappos Android team, with opportunities to take on a large amount of ownership and responsibility across several different products.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams and external stakeholders to define, design, and ship new features.
- Leverage your Android development experience to educate colleagues, and to influence design, architecture and implementation approaches within the team.
- Continuously discover, evaluate, and implement new technologies to improve the customer experience and maximise development velocity.
- Ship high quality solutions efficiently.
- Closely monitor application performance and respond with urgency to operational issues and bugs.
- Design, implement and launch projects with significant complexity or that improve larger architecture deficiencies.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent work experience.
- 5 or more years of software development experience with at least 2 years of native Android app development experience.
- Strong Java and Android SDK development skills.
- Strong knowledge of development tools such as Android Studio, git, and gradle.
- Working knowledge of RxJava, Dagger, OkHttp, Retrofit and Android architecture components or a strong desire to learn.
- Automated test experience.
- The ability to drive projects forward and work through problems and solutions independently.
- A good sense of balance between pragmatic solutions and delivering high quality software that adheres to industry best practices.
- A solid understanding of design approaches (and how to best use them).
What you didn't know about the team:
Our apps have been featured numerous times in the Play Store. We have a strong emphasis on design, and have been an early adopter of each iteration of Material Design. A collaboration with Google earlier this year lead to our app being featured at Google I/O. Check out the write up here: https://material.io/articles/material-partner-studies.html. We’re passionate about Kotlin, RxJava and all things Android. Let's talk!
Don’t See Your Dream Job?
That’s okay! We are always looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers to join our world-class technology team. Leave your information and once we open our next role and you meet what we’re looking for, we’ll reach out to you!
Zappos Tech typically hires for the following positions:
- Product/Program/Project Managers
- Data Scientist/Data Analysts
- Technical Project Managers
- Software Engineers
- Frontend Engineers
- UX Designers
- Mobile Engineers
- Network, Security and System Engineers