Manager, Software Development
Zapponian [noun|employee of Zappos]. You are self-motivated. You think like an entrepreneur, constantly innovating and driving positive change, but more importantly, you consistently deliver mind-boggling results.
Bold [adjective|not afraid of anything]. A role at Zappos is an opportunity to be a part of something different. To go bold. We’re a company that isn’t afraid to take risks and question the status quo. Oh yeah, we like to have fun too.
Perks [noun|the good stuff you get for working hard]. Zappos pays 100% of your medical, dental and vision premiums. Primary care visits, dental exams, eye exams and generic prescriptions are all free. Plus matching 401k, life coaches, orthodontic benefits, and more. And don’t forget, an unlimited 40% Zappos.com discount.
1990s [noun|a decade we love, but no longer live in]. Old school cover letters are so 1990. Want to show us who you really are? Create a video cover letter. A flash mob, a comedic monologue… whatever showcases your passion for Zappos and the work you’d be doing! Videos are not required, but if you create it, we’ll watch it.
Scout [noun|you're a recruiter, too]. As a Zapponian, we’ll ask that you always keep your eye out for great talent to join our family. Consider yourself an extension of the recruiting team, scouting for the best people to grow our company.
Who We Are
We have a relentless focus to shape the experience to be fun and intuitive for Zappos customers. Our most valuable attributes are the people that make up the team. We embrace the Zappos core values so you should apply if you are not afraid to create a little fun and weirdness! We value diversity and want to make our team as inclusive as possible. We do this by building strong relationships through open and honest communication. We value people that are not afraid to take risks and quickly learn from mistakes.
Who We're Looking For
As Zapponians, we live to WOW our internal and external customers. The Manager of Software Engineering will lead a team of developers and project managers who are responsible for aiding with system design, functionality and usage success, and user experience to deliver against customer demands for the overall betterment of Zappos technologies. This position will manage and develop talent to ensure a culture of growth and progression, career development, and technical education is available and successful.
You will own and manage the lifestyle’s business planning in alignment with merchandising, inventory management, and finance leaders. You will act as a business owner for forecasting, planning, and delivering actionable insights within your team.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Exemplifying our company Core Values.
- Develop and drive engineering best practices (e.g., Operational Excellence, Security, Quality, etc.) and set standards
- Hire, develop, and retain exceptional engineering talent
- Supporting teams to identify and build tools for managing cloud infrastructure, deploying and scaling applications, and ensuring they are a secure computing environment
- Ensure software projects are integrated into Zappos.com systems
- Lead teams focused on architecture/design initiatives
- Manage and develop direct reports, improving their technical knowledge and engineering practices
- Partner with product owners, designers, and business stakeholders to build team’s roadmaps and gather specifications for projects
- Proactively ensure architecture deficiencies are fixed and/or larger projects are identified and proposed
- Facilitate a culture of feedback, communication and accountability
What You’ll need To Bring
- 5+ years professional experience in Software Development/Engineering with experience utilizing complex systems such as AWS, SQL, GIT, UNIX, and JAVA services
- Bachelor’s Degree in Software Development, Computer Science, Mechatronics, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related discipline
- 3+ years management experience
- Experience leading remote teams preferred
- Demonstrated experience with object-oriented design and systems architecture skills
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
What Really Excites Us
- Experience at a large e-commerce retailer.
Don’t See Your Dream Job?
That’s okay! We are always looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers to join our world-class technology team. Leave your information and once we open our next role and you meet what we’re looking for, we’ll reach out to you!
Zappos Tech typically hires for the following positions:
- Product/Program/Project Managers
- Data Scientist/Data Analysts
- Technical Project Managers
- Software Engineers
- Frontend Engineers
- UX Designers
- Mobile Engineers
- Network, Security and System Engineers