Site Reliability Engineer
Zapponian [noun|employee of Zappos]. You are self-motivated. You think like an entrepreneur, constantly innovating and driving positive change, but more importantly, you consistently deliver mind-boggling results.
Bold [adjective|not afraid of anything]. A role at Zappos is an opportunity to be a part of something different. To go bold. We’re a company that isn’t afraid to take risks and question the status quo. Oh yeah, we like to have fun too.
Perks [noun|the good stuff you get for working hard]. Zappos pays 100% of your medical, dental and vision premiums. Primary care visits, dental exams, eye exams and generic prescriptions are all free. Plus matching 401k, life coaches, orthodontic benefits, and more. And don’t forget, an unlimited 40% Zappos.com discount.
1990s [noun|a decade we love, but no longer live in]. Old school cover letters are so 1990. Want to show us who you really are? Create a video cover letter. A flash mob, a comedic monologue… whatever showcases your passion for Zappos and the work you’d be doing! Videos are not required, but if you create it, we’ll watch it.
Scout [noun|you're a recruiter, too]. As a Zapponian, we’ll ask that you always keep your eye out for great talent to join our family. Consider yourself an extension of the recruiting team, scouting for the best people to grow our company.
Work remotely due to COVID-19
What you'll be doing:
- Helping various teams automate various tedium with Python using industry standard best practices.
- Refining current automatons, including tools used for infrastructure management.
- Design and build applications to improve the availability, latency, scalability, and performance of our systems.
- Build automatons to respond to first level issues, striving to fix them automatically.
- Drafting new standards for the creation of tools and processes.
- Chat integrations and automation, on platforms such as Amazon Chime and Slack.
- Connecting existing 3rd party tools to other internal tools, making a big ol' web of data mining goodness.
- Eating good foods and sharing friendship (remotely! on site! both?)
- Coordinate with our Systems Engineering team on our daily Chime meeting.
What you'll bring to the table:
- 3+ years python engineering experience, including building and running enterprise applications at scale.
- 3+ years Linux expertise, from shell all the way down to the kernel, including internals and networking.
- 3+ years AWS experience, certifications are a plus!
- 2+ years building and running containerized applications using Docker.
- A strong love of making things easier on yourself and others by automating the heck out of everything...From putting pants on to building an 18 story building (in Python!).
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment that is fun and borderline wacky. Maybe an excessive amount of wacky. Maybe not that much wacky. Definitely fast paced. Did I say wacky?
What really excites us:
- Networking experience (working with switches, firewalls, routers, packet sniffers, load balancers).
- Any other automation experience (Selenium, Jenkins, JMeter, Powershell, ActiveState Perl/Python).
- Any other cross platform programming languages C, C++, Go, Java, Erlang, Haskell, Lua, COBOL
- Experience in Python web frameworks.
- HTML and CSS experience
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise?
I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. ;)
What you didn't know about the team:
- They are just as wacky and random as this job description.
Don’t See Your Dream Job?
That’s okay! We are always looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers to join our world-class technology team. Leave your information and once we open our next role and you meet what we’re looking for, we’ll reach out to you!
Zappos Tech typically hires for the following positions:
- Product/Program/Project Managers
- Data Scientist/Data Analysts
- Technical Project Managers
- Software Engineers
- Frontend Engineers
- UX Designers
- Mobile Engineers
- Network, Security and System Engineers