Zapponian [noun|employee of Zappos]. You are self-motivated. You think like an entrepreneur, constantly innovating and driving positive change, but more importantly, you consistently deliver mind-boggling results.
Bold [adjective|not afraid of anything]. A role at Zappos is an opportunity to be a part of something different. To go bold. We’re a company that isn’t afraid to take risks and question the status quo. Oh yeah, we like to have fun too.
Perks [noun|the good stuff you get for working hard]. Zappos pays 100% of your medical, dental and vision premiums. Primary care visits, dental exams, eye exams and generic prescriptions are all free. Plus matching 401k, life coaches, orthodontic benefits, and more. And don’t forget, an unlimited 40% Zappos.com discount.
1990s [noun|a decade we love, but no longer live in]. Old school cover letters are so 1990. Want to show us who you really are? Create a video cover letter. A flash mob, a comedic monologue… whatever showcases your passion for Zappos and the work you’d be doing! Videos are not required, but if you create it, we’ll watch it.
Scout [noun|you're a recruiter, too]. As a Zapponian, we’ll ask that you always keep your eye out for great talent to join our family. Consider yourself an extension of the recruiting team, scouting for the best people to grow our company.
What are you currently doing? We’re building a system that serves the best customers in the world – The Zappos Family of Companies customers. Our custom-tuned web platform serves thousands of page views per second, sells lots of great merchandise each day, and uses some of the most cutting-edge technology available. We need you to come help us make this great system even better.
We are looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers to join our world-class technology team. We have built most of our systems on open-source technology. We use Solr, Java, and Spring, to name a few.
As a Zappos Software Engineer, you will be developing a mix of new features for the site as well as investigating cutting-edge technologies to make the site better (either more robust, able to handle more transactions, or simply provide a better customer experience).
What you’ll be doing:
- Help build complex, scalable fast systems and services using modern technology and methodologies
- Facilitate difficult conversations between disparate technical and business perspectives balancing short-term needs vs setting up the company for long-term success with an eye towards limiting the buildup of technical debt
- Capturing and analyzing data to improve system capabilities
- Helping to build fault-tolerant systems that can process billions of requests per day and have the ability to enhance processes within the system through analysis, tracking and automation.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
- Understanding of software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- A solid understanding of all software layers including UI, service, data store, and communication layers
- Experience influencing software engineers best practices within your team
- Experience in AWS services – Lambda, DynamoDB, ECS, SQS, SNS
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, required
- Computer Science fundamentals in data structures, required
- Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem-solving, and complexity analysis, required
- BS/MS in Computer Science
- 3 years or less Java and Spring software development in a production environment
- Made major contributions to the design/architecture of one or more projects
What you didn’t know about the team: We are a well-rounded team that believes that great ideas can come from anywhere whether it be in a conference room or written on a napkin at the bar!
Don’t See Your Dream Job?
That’s okay! We are always looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers to join our world-class technology team. Leave your information and once we open our next role and you meet what we’re looking for, we’ll reach out to you!
Zappos Tech typically hires for the following positions:
- Product/Program/Project Managers
- Data Scientist/Data Analysts
- Technical Project Managers
- Software Engineers
- Frontend Engineers
- UX Designers
- Mobile Engineers
- Network, Security and System Engineers