Director of Technology
Zapponian [noun|employee of Zappos]. You are self-motivated. You think like an entrepreneur, constantly innovating and driving positive change, but more importantly, you consistently deliver mind-boggling results.
Bold [adjective|not afraid of anything]. A role at Zappos is an opportunity to be a part of something different. To go bold. We’re a company that isn’t afraid to take risks and question the status quo. Oh yeah, we like to have fun too.
Perks [noun|the good stuff you get for working hard]. Zappos pays 100% of your medical, dental and vision premiums. Primary care visits, dental exams, eye exams and generic prescriptions are all free. Plus matching 401k, life coaches, orthodontic benefits, and more. And don’t forget, an unlimited 40% Zappos.com discount.
1990s [noun|a decade we love, but no longer live in]. Old school cover letters are so 1990. Want to show us who you really are? Create a video cover letter. A flash mob, a comedic monologue… whatever showcases your passion for Zappos and the work you’d be doing! Videos are not required, but if you create it, we’ll watch it.
Scout [noun|you're a recruiter, too]. As a Zapponian, we’ll ask that you always keep your eye out for great talent to join our family. Consider yourself an extension of the recruiting team, scouting for the best people to grow our company.
Zappos' Digital Customer Experience team is looking for a Director of Technology! This role will lead a team of software developers to build and maintain exciting experiences for our customers that differentiate us the e-commerce space. We leverage cutting edge technology in e-commerce frameworks, big data, machine learning, optimization techniques and high availability services.
The ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced environment, understands the cloud commerce space and will help us scale our business and impress our customers. Successful candidates will be strong leaders who can prioritize well, communicate clearly, and have a consistent track record of delivery.
In this role, you will hire and lead multiple software development teams responsible for delivering growth related initiatives. You will drive key engineering and business decisions that impact Zappos' long-term vision You must have experience leading leaders and growing and leading teams that are distributed globally.
What you will be doing:
- Lead a cross functional team of about 30 Engineers
- Lead by example, mentor the team and establish credibility through quality technical execution
- Be responsible for the growth of the Engineering team including individuals' career growth, skill set development, and hiring the right resources
- Provide architectural and design input, with ability to dive deep into technical details as required
- Provide mentorship on Engineering excellence with a lens on Continuous Improvement
- High level of comfort with analytical approaches and quantitative methods
- Action oriented, independent, self-starter comfortable working in an unstructured, fast paced environment
- Proven ability to manage multiple, time-sensitive products and competing priorities simultaneously with minimum guidance and high attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and written/verbal communication skills
- Understand the importance of design and research and how both fit into building new processes and deploying new technologies
- Cultivates an environment where associates respect and adhere to company standards of integrity and ethics and the Zappos Core Values
- Develops and executes systems strategies to support business goals
- Develops and implements strategies to attract and maintain a highly skilled and engaged workforce
- Develops and leverages internal and external partnerships and networks to maximize the achievement of business goals
- Ensures scalability and performance metrics are achieved
- Serves as a change agent for customers and ensures work activities benefit customers
What you will bring to the table:
- 15+ years of experience in software development
- 4+ years in leading engineering teams with growing responsibility
- Ability to navigate a rapidly changing landscape, while handling multiple responsibilities
- Hands-on experience with development in AWS environments
- Curious about new technology and always looking to acquire new knowledge
- Strong business acumen
- Master/Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related field
- Computer Science fundamentals experience in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithms
- Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Significant experience as a successful tech leader building, managing and mentoring engineering teams in large scale, highly available Internet applications
- Demonstrated ability to attract, develop, and retain high quality engineering talent & experience leading leaders across global locations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
- Passionate about simple and elegant software solutions and focus on improving performance.
Don’t See Your Dream Job?
That’s okay! We are always looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers to join our world-class technology team. Leave your information and once we open our next role and you meet what we’re looking for, we’ll reach out to you!
Zappos Tech typically hires for the following positions:
- Product/Program/Project Managers
- Data Scientist/Data Analysts
- Technical Project Managers
- Software Engineers
- Frontend Engineers
- UX Designers
- Mobile Engineers
- Network, Security and System Engineers