Sr. Software Engineer
Zapponian [noun|employee of Zappos]. You are self-motivated. You think like an entrepreneur, constantly innovating and driving positive change, but more importantly, you consistently deliver mind-boggling results.
Bold [adjective|not afraid of anything]. A role at Zappos is an opportunity to be a part of something different. To go bold. We’re a company that isn’t afraid to take risks and question the status quo. Oh yeah, we like to have fun too.
Perks [noun|the good stuff you get for working hard]. Zappos pays 100% of your medical, dental and vision premiums. Primary care visits, dental exams, eye exams and generic prescriptions are all free. Plus matching 401k, life coaches, orthodontic benefits, and more. And don’t forget, an unlimited 40% Zappos.com discount.
1990s [noun|a decade we love, but no longer live in]. Old school cover letters are so 1990. Want to show us who you really are? Create a video cover letter. A flash mob, a comedic monologue… whatever showcases your passion for Zappos and the work you’d be doing! Videos are not required, but if you create it, we’ll watch it.
Scout [noun|you're a recruiter, too]. As a Zapponian, we’ll ask that you always keep your eye out for great talent to join our family. Consider yourself an extension of the recruiting team, scouting for the best people to grow our company.
Who We Are
Zappos has a mission to deliver superior customer service and to create a WOW for customers, employees, vendors and the community. The VoltronForce team works to create that experience for some of the most impactful areas of the zappos.com website — Authentication, Cart and Checkout. We are empowered to build a best in class checkout experience. We enhance our secure authentication platform to protect against bad actors while ensuring customers are able to login frustration free. We have a relentless focus to shape the experience to be fun and intuitive for Zappos customers.
Our most valuable attributes are the people that make up the team. We embrace the Zappos core values so you should apply if you are not afraid to create a little fun and weirdness! We value diversity and want to make our team as inclusive as possible. We do this by building strong relationships through open and honest communication. We value people that are not afraid to take risks and quickly learn from mistakes.
What You’ll Be Doing
We are looking for an experienced Senior Software Engineer focused on Backend Web Technologies to help us in this endeavor. Some of the technologies we use are Java, Python, Elixir, AWS, Node, React/Redux. We want someone who has their own big ideas (Embrace and Drive Change!), consistently demonstrates ownership and likes to dig into the details. You will commonly be asked to:
- Take ownership of applications. Use your experience and analytical skills to pick between many options with different pros and cons.
- Produce quality, debuggable and testable code to build upon REST APIs that power the zappos.com customer facing website. Think about scalability, monitoring and security 100% of the time.
- Troubleshoot and fix hard problems, not being afraid to dig into the details.
- Know how to build an MVP to learn quickly and fail fast.
- Participate in design and architecture sessions with other senior engineers.
- Mentor junior developers by providing meaningful feedback and raise the bar on coding standards
- Collaborate with UX, Product Management and other Engineers to think up and build experiments. Iteratively improve the customer experience
- Work in a relaxed atmosphere full of a diverse set of people and skills
What You Need
- 5-7+ years software development experience
- Have made major contributions to the design and/or architecture of multiple production projects.... preferably ones that have thousands or millions of users
- Solid computer science fundamentals (theory, data structures, algorithms)
- Deep experience with web services
What Will Really Excite Us
- A deep understanding of Java 8+ and experience with the Spring Framework
- Experience with AWS technologies including DynamoDB, Elastic Beanstalk, ECS, SQS, SNS, S3 or other Cloud based providers (GCP, Azure)
- Experience with dev ops automation and a reflexive cringe when the continuous deployment pipeline is broken
- You have strong opinions, a desire to teach others but also have a strong inclination to learn
- (Bonus) Frontend development skills. Experience with React, Nodejs and Redux
- (Bonus) Your slack emoji game is on point (tough competition around here)
Don’t See Your Dream Job?
That’s okay! We are always looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers to join our world-class technology team. Leave your information and once we open our next role and you meet what we’re looking for, we’ll reach out to you!
Zappos Tech typically hires for the following positions:
- Product/Program/Project Managers
- Data Scientist/Data Analysts
- Technical Project Managers
- Software Engineers
- Frontend Engineers
- UX Designers
- Mobile Engineers
- Network, Security and System Engineers