Senior Software Engineer
Zapponian [noun|employee of Zappos]. You are self-motivated. You think like an entrepreneur, constantly innovating and driving positive change, but more importantly, you consistently deliver mind-boggling results.
Bold [adjective|not afraid of anything]. A role at Zappos is an opportunity to be a part of something different. To go bold. We’re a company that isn’t afraid to take risks and question the status quo. Oh yeah, we like to have fun too.
Perks [noun|the good stuff you get for working hard]. Zappos pays 100% of your medical, dental and vision premiums. Primary care visits, dental exams, eye exams and generic prescriptions are all free. Plus matching 401k, life coaches, orthodontic benefits, and more. And don’t forget, an unlimited 40% Zappos.com discount.
1990s [noun|a decade we love, but no longer live in]. Old school cover letters are so 1990. Want to show us who you really are? Create a video cover letter. A flash mob, a comedic monologue… whatever showcases your passion for Zappos and the work you’d be doing! Videos are not required, but if you create it, we’ll watch it.
Scout [noun|you're a recruiter, too]. As a Zapponian, we’ll ask that you always keep your eye out for great talent to join our family. Consider yourself an extension of the recruiting team, scouting for the best people to grow our company.
Zappos is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our back office systems team. You will be responsible for the day to day maintenance and development of our purchase ordering system, vendor portal, and more.
The ideal candidate will have experience in driving software features from design to implementation and enjoy development in a software ecosystem that evolves rapidly. Being a strong communicator, easy going, well-versed in the integration and enterprise application development is important. You will be responsible for the technical design, implementation, and maintenance of the systems used primarily by our merchandising teams and vendors.
As a Senior Software Engineer you will:
- Maintain and improve existing code bases.
- Investigate, troubleshoot, and fix applications.
- Troubleshoot communication issues between our applications and other teams’ applications.
- Utilize common source control processes such as GitFlow and code review.
- Add meaningful unit tests and monitoring.
- Give input on how to improve and simplify applications and architecture.
- Get in and understand existing complex systems by researching, reading through documentation, and seeking out and talking with people in the know.
- Create and update and documentation for applications.
- Capture and analyze data to improve system capabilities.
- Build fault-tolerant and scalable systems/solutions.
- Analysis and improve application performance.
- Be a part of on-call rotations for supported applications.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- A desire to make work fun and enjoyable (this is first on the list for a reason).
- 5+ years production Java software development experience.
- Experience with Java frameworks / build systems (Spring, JUnit, etc.).
- Capability in connecting with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product approach.
- A solid understanding of all software layers including UI, service, data store, and communication layers.
- Proficient in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
- Excellent knowledge of SQL and databases.
- Experience with programming and consuming web services.
- Experience with AWS.
- High motivation, ability to hang with fast pace team, takes pride in work but also humble enough to work well with others with code reviews.
- BS or MS in Computer Science (or related field).
What you didn’t know about the team: We are a well-rounded team that believes that great ideas can come from anywhere whether it be written on our whiteboard wall or on a napkin at the bar!
Don’t See Your Dream Job?
That’s okay! We are always looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers to join our world-class technology team. Leave your information and once we open our next role and you meet what we’re looking for, we’ll reach out to you!
Zappos Tech typically hires for the following positions:
- Product/Program/Project Managers
- Data Scientist/Data Analysts
- Technical Project Managers
- Software Engineers
- Frontend Engineers
- UX Designers
- Mobile Engineers
- Network, Security and System Engineers