Enterprise Cloud Database Administrator
Zapponian [noun|employee of Zappos]. You are self-motivated. You think like an entrepreneur, constantly innovating and driving positive change, but more importantly, you consistently deliver mind-boggling results.
Bold [adjective|not afraid of anything]. A role at Zappos is an opportunity to be a part of something different. To go bold. We’re a company that isn’t afraid to take risks and question the status quo. Oh yeah, we like to have fun too.
Perks [noun|the good stuff you get for working hard]. Zappos pays 100% of your medical, dental and vision premiums. Primary care visits, dental exams, eye exams and generic prescriptions are all free. Plus matching 401k, life coaches, orthodontic benefits, and more. And don’t forget, an unlimited 40% Zappos.com discount.
1990s [noun|a decade we love, but no longer live in]. Old school cover letters are so 1990. Want to show us who you really are? Create a video cover letter. A flash mob, a comedic monologue… whatever showcases your passion for Zappos and the work you’d be doing! Videos are not required, but if you create it, we’ll watch it.
Scout [noun|you're a recruiter, too]. As a Zapponian, we’ll ask that you always keep your eye out for great talent to join our family. Consider yourself an extension of the recruiting team, scouting for the best people to grow our company.
Passionate about technology and enjoy working in a fast-paced, challenging environment? Zappos is looking for a database administrator who would recommend, implement, and support current and new database technologies for the Back Office Systems team. You would be responsible for the overall performance, reliability, and growth of the database systems and utilize your expertise of database design, systems architecture, and creative thinking to solve difficult problems. Good communication skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision on multiple concurrent projects is a must.
What you'll be doing:
- Ensure that data is stored securely and optimally
- Model database systems for performance and scalability
- Interact with technical teams to build robust strategies
- Maintain database results by setting and enforcing standards and controls
- Perform design reviews with development teams
- Prepare for database expansion by understanding the business growth, plans and requirements, and advising senior technical management with corrective action
- Triage large-scale problems with other technical teams
What you'll bring to the table:
- 5+ years of experience in the technology industry
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in information technology or computer science
- 2+ years of experience with Amazon cloud managed MySQL environments (RDS or Aurora is a plus)
- Excellent knowledge of SQL and relational database systems
- A history of increasing responsibility in the database arena
- Experience managing multiple large projects
- Experience providing near real time replication in high transaction systems
- Enterprise experience preferred
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
Don’t See Your Dream Job?
That’s okay! We are always looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers to join our world-class technology team. Leave your information and once we open our next role and you meet what we’re looking for, we’ll reach out to you!
Zappos Tech typically hires for the following positions:
- Product/Program/Project Managers
- Data Scientist/Data Analysts
- Technical Project Managers
- Software Engineers
- Frontend Engineers
- UX Designers
- Mobile Engineers
- Network, Security and System Engineers