Senior Software Engineer - Back Office
Zapponian [noun|employee of Zappos]. You are self-motivated. You think like an entrepreneur, constantly innovating and driving positive change, but more importantly, you consistently deliver mind-boggling results.
Bold [adjective|not afraid of anything]. A role at Zappos is an opportunity to be a part of something different. To go bold. We’re a company that isn’t afraid to take risks and question the status quo. Oh yeah, we like to have fun too.
Perks [noun|the good stuff you get for working hard]. Zappos pays 100% of your medical, dental and vision premiums. Primary care visits, dental exams, eye exams and generic prescriptions are all free. Plus matching 401k, life coaches, orthodontic benefits, and more. And don’t forget, an unlimited 40% Zappos.com discount.
1990s [noun|a decade we love, but no longer live in]. Old school cover letters are so 1990. Want to show us who you really are? Create a video cover letter. A flash mob, a comedic monologue… whatever showcases your passion for Zappos and the work you’d be doing! Videos are not required, but if you create it, we’ll watch it.
Scout [noun|you're a recruiter, too]. As a Zapponian, we’ll ask that you always keep your eye out for great talent to join our family. Consider yourself an extension of the recruiting team, scouting for the best people to grow our company.
Work remotely due to COVID-19
We are looking for a Software Engineering Manager to lead our back office systems team. As the engineering manager, you will be responsible for the day to day management of the purchase order, EDI development team, new item setup, inventory feeds, and more. The ideal candidate will have experience in driving software features from design to implementation and enjoy development in a software ecosystem that evolves rapidly. Being a strong communicator that is easy going and is well versed in the integration of enterprise applications and platforms is important. You and your team will be responsible for the technical design, implementation, and maintenance of the systems used primarily by our merchandising and content teams and our vendors. This multitiered architecture is Java-based and incorporates Spring MVC, SOAP, JMS, and Camel to expose web-services, run background processing, and provide a full-featured web application.
What you'd be doing:
Engineering Manager responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
- A desire to make work fun and enjoyable
- Will help architect, manage, and develop the back-office systems
- Participate in strategic planning to achieve technical and business objectives, and define technical direction
- Lead design reviews for engineers, and drive feedback on architecture and design issues
- Ensure operational integrity through visibility, monitoring, and incident response
- Communicate and coordinate changes to groups outside of development
- Work with business users to set expectations and explain technology
- Build, manage, and develop a team of engineers, provide mentoring, and manage resource allocation
What you'd bring to the table:
- A minimum of 3 years in a management role
- A minimum of 6 years experience working on web-based, database driven software
- Excellent understanding of SQL and a general knowledge of databases
- Experience with multiple programming languages.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Bachelors in Software Engineering, Computer Science or similar
What really excites us:
- Experience with distributed systems and nonrelational databases
- Experience with Java, Perl, or .Net programming languages
- Masters degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent experience.
Don’t See Your Dream Job?
That’s okay! We are always looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers to join our world-class technology team. Leave your information and once we open our next role and you meet what we’re looking for, we’ll reach out to you!
Zappos Tech typically hires for the following positions:
- Product/Program/Project Managers
- Data Scientist/Data Analysts
- Technical Project Managers
- Software Engineers
- Frontend Engineers
- UX Designers
- Mobile Engineers
- Network, Security and System Engineers