Senior Software Engineer- Back End
Zapponian [noun|employee of Zappos]. You are self-motivated. You think like an entrepreneur, constantly innovating and driving positive change, but more importantly, you consistently deliver mind-boggling results.
Bold [adjective|not afraid of anything]. A role at Zappos is an opportunity to be a part of something different. To go bold. We’re a company that isn’t afraid to take risks and question the status quo. Oh yeah, we like to have fun too.
Perks [noun|the good stuff you get for working hard]. Zappos pays 100% of your medical, dental and vision premiums. Primary care visits, dental exams, eye exams and generic prescriptions are all free. Plus matching 401k, life coaches, orthodontic benefits, and more. And don’t forget, an unlimited 40% Zappos.com discount.
1990s [noun|a decade we love, but no longer live in]. Old school cover letters are so 1990. Want to show us who you really are? Create a video cover letter. A flash mob, a comedic monologue… whatever showcases your passion for Zappos and the work you’d be doing! Videos are not required, but if you create it, we’ll watch it.
Scout [noun|you're a recruiter, too]. As a Zapponian, we’ll ask that you always keep your eye out for great talent to join our family. Consider yourself an extension of the recruiting team, scouting for the best people to grow our company.
We are looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers to join our world-class technology team. We have built most of our systems on open-source technology. We use Java, Kotlin, Python, Spring, Elastic Search, EC2, DynamoDB, and more (you can even help us figure out what else!).
As a Senior Software Engineer at Zappos, you will be developing a mix of new features for the site as well as investigating cutting-edge technologies to make the site better (either more robust, able to handle more transactions, or simply provide a better customer experience).
Expectations and skills needed to do that thing you love at Zappos:
- Architect, design, implement, and maintain complex, scalable, and performant services and applications using modern technology and methodologies.
- Work with orchestration services to monitor and maintain our service infrastructure.
- Implement unit and integration tests to drive code quality.
- Capture and analyze data to improve system capabilities.
- Enhance processes through analysis, tracking and automation.
- Facilitate difficult conversations between disparate technical and business perspectives balancing short-term needs vs setting up the company for long-term success with an eye towards limiting the buildup of technical debt.
- Mentor fellow engineers to influence our technology decisions and how we write code.
What you'll bring to the table:
- Deep understanding of software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Hands-on skill in many incongruent technologies, typically fluctuating from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between.
- Experience with high-volume transactional systems.
- Experience influencing software engineers to follow best practices.
- Experience with JVM languages and frameworks (Java, Spring, JUnit, etc).
- Made major contributions to the design/architecture of one or more projects.
- Have assisted in the interview process for new engineers.
- Have mentored junior engineers.
- 5+ years Java software development in a production environment.
If you love building complex systems and want a great, fun, open organization, but the solid management and resources of an established business, we’re the place for you.
Don’t See Your Dream Job?
That’s okay! We are always looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers to join our world-class technology team. Leave your information and once we open our next role and you meet what we’re looking for, we’ll reach out to you!
Zappos Tech typically hires for the following positions:
- Product/Program/Project Managers
- Data Scientist/Data Analysts
- Technical Project Managers
- Software Engineers
- Frontend Engineers
- UX Designers
- Mobile Engineers
- Network, Security and System Engineers