Frontend Engineer, Customer Marketing
Zapponian [noun|employee of Zappos]. You are self-motivated. You think like an entrepreneur, constantly innovating and driving positive change, but more importantly, you consistently deliver mind-boggling results.
Bold [adjective|not afraid of anything]. A role at Zappos is an opportunity to be a part of something different. To go bold. We’re a company that isn’t afraid to take risks and question the status quo. Oh yeah, we like to have fun too.
Perks [noun|the good stuff you get for working hard]. Zappos pays 100% of your medical, dental and vision premiums. Primary care visits, dental exams, eye exams and generic prescriptions are all free. Plus matching 401k, life coaches, orthodontic benefits, and more. And don’t forget, an unlimited 40% Zappos.com discount.
1990s [noun|a decade we love, but no longer live in]. Old school cover letters are so 1990. Want to show us who you really are? Create a video cover letter. A flash mob, a comedic monologue… whatever showcases your passion for Zappos and the work you’d be doing! Videos are not required, but if you create it, we’ll watch it.
Scout [noun|you're a recruiter, too]. As a Zapponian, we’ll ask that you always keep your eye out for great talent to join our family. Consider yourself an extension of the recruiting team, scouting for the best people to grow our company.
The Customer Marketing at Zappos is a new customer obsessed team looking for a highly skilled front-end engineer who truly cares about web standards and customer experience. We work to create amazing customer experiences on Zappos.com that retain and attract customers. We will be assisting the business and marketing partners in providing a seamless communication experience between our brand and our customers. We are always looking for new ways to make things better for our customers, so you will always have lots of interesting problems to solve.
We have a relentless focus to shape the experience to be fun and intuitive for Zappos customers. Our most valuable attributes are the people that make up the team. We embrace the Zappos core values so you should apply if you are not afraid to create a little fun and weirdness! We value diversity and want to make our team as inclusive as possible. We do this by building strong relationships through open and honest communication. We value people that are not afraid to take risks and quickly learn from mistakes.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Building interactive and accessible UIs for Zappos.com using HTML, CSS, JS, and other web technologies.
- Collaborating with diverse teams to plan, prototype, build, and maintain new features.
- Leveraging your expertise by coaching and mentoring others.
- Exemplifying our company Core Values.
- Work with the team to help drive business decisions.
- Design, implement, test, deploy and maintain innovative software solutions to transform service performance, compliance, durability, cost, and security.
- Use software engineering best practices to ensure a high standard of quality for all of the team deliverables.
- Write high quality distributed system software.
- Having lots of fun doing really fun things with fun people.
- Work in an agile development environment, where you are always working on the most important stuff.
- Work through all phases of the project lifecycle, including reviewing requirements, designing critical Components of UI and, building new interfaces, integrate with existing architectures, developing and testing code, and delivering seamless implementations for scaling features.
- Ownership of projects that operate cross-functionally with multiple engineering, design and product teams.
- Work in a fast paced environment to deliver high quality software against defined schedules and milestones.
What You’ll Need To Bring:
- Minimum 3 years of front-end engineering industry experience
- Expertise with semantic HTML
- Mastery in creating responsive layouts using CSS
- Intimate knowledge of web browsers, page performance, and the DOM
- Experience building UIs conforming to web accessibility guidelines (e.g. WCAG)
- Experience with version control (e.g Git)
- Extensive use of APIs and understanding of HTTP and REST architecture
- Experience with unit, integration, and end-to-end testing
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A sense of humor
- Strong web portfolio or showcase of code (e.g. GitHub, GitLab). *
- Bachelor’s Degree in Web Development, Computer Science, or combined equivalent of education
- Ability to rapidly prototype and adjust in response to customer feedback
- Well practiced coding paradigms including peer code reviews, unit testing, and a preference for agile development
What Really Excites Us:
- Expertise with React, Redux, JSX, SASS (or other CSS preprocessors)
- Knowledgeable with other languages like Node.js, Python, Elixir, or Ruby
- Comfortability working in a *nix environment and using GNU tools
- Exposure to AWS
- 3 years e-commerce experience with a large retailer
Don’t See Your Dream Job?
That’s okay! We are always looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers to join our world-class technology team. Leave your information and once we open our next role and you meet what we’re looking for, we’ll reach out to you!
Zappos Tech typically hires for the following positions:
- Product/Program/Project Managers
- Data Scientist/Data Analysts
- Technical Project Managers
- Software Engineers
- Frontend Engineers
- UX Designers
- Mobile Engineers
- Network, Security and System Engineers