Software Development Engineer, Customer Marketing
Zapponian [noun|employee of Zappos]. You are self-motivated. You think like an entrepreneur, constantly innovating and driving positive change, but more importantly, you consistently deliver mind-boggling results.
Bold [adjective|not afraid of anything]. A role at Zappos is an opportunity to be a part of something different. To go bold. We’re a company that isn’t afraid to take risks and question the status quo. Oh yeah, we like to have fun too.
Perks [noun|the good stuff you get for working hard]. Zappos pays 100% of your medical, dental and vision premiums. Primary care visits, dental exams, eye exams and generic prescriptions are all free. Plus matching 401k, life coaches, orthodontic benefits, and more. And don’t forget, an unlimited 40% Zappos.com discount.
1990s [noun|a decade we love, but no longer live in]. Old school cover letters are so 1990. Want to show us who you really are? Create a video cover letter. A flash mob, a comedic monologue… whatever showcases your passion for Zappos and the work you’d be doing! Videos are not required, but if you create it, we’ll watch it.
Scout [noun|you're a recruiter, too]. As a Zapponian, we’ll ask that you always keep your eye out for great talent to join our family. Consider yourself an extension of the recruiting team, scouting for the best people to grow our company.
This person will help drive the technical decision making as well as deliverables for the Customer Marketing Team. You will be working with a unique and gifted team developing new, exciting, and cutting-edge products consisting of backend services, frontend UIs, apps, scalable algorithms, and prototypes. The team is a multidisciplinary group of engineers and business people engaged in a fast-paced mission to deliver new initiatives. You should be comfortable collaborating in a fast-paced and often uncertain environment, and contributing to innovative solutions, while demonstrating leadership and meticulousness. You should also be comfortable collaborating regularly with colleagues across many of Zappos’ current businesses.
We have a relentless focus to shape the experience to be fun and intuitive for Zappos customers. Our most valuable attributes are the people that make up the team. We embrace the Zappos core values so you should apply if you are not afraid to create a little fun and weirdness! We value diversity and want to make our team as inclusive as possible. We do this by building strong relationships through open and honest communication. We value people that are not afraid to take risks and quickly learn from mistakes.
What You’ll Be Doing
We are looking for an experienced Senior Software Engineer focused on Backend Web Technologies to help us in this endeavor. Some of the technologies we use are Java, Python, Elixir, AWS, Node, React/Redux. We want someone who has their own big ideas (Embrace and Drive Change!), consistently demonstrates ownership and likes to dig into the details. You will commonly be asked to:
- Take ownership of applications. Use your experience and analytical skills to pick between many options with different pros and cons.
- Produce quality, debuggable and testable code to build upon REST APIs that power the zappos.com customer facing website. Think about scalability, monitoring and security 100% of the time.
- Troubleshoot and fix hard problems, not being afraid to dig into the details.
- Know how to build an MVP to learn quickly and fail fast.
- Participate in design and architecture sessions with other senior engineers.
- Mentor junior developers by providing meaningful feedback and raise the bar on coding standards.
- Collaborate with UX, Product Management and other Engineers to think up and build experiments. Iteratively improve the customer experience.
- Having lots of fun doing really fun things with fun people.
- Exemplifying our company Core Values.
- Work in a relaxed atmosphere full of a diverse set of people and skills.
- Help drive the architecture and technology choices that enable a world-class customer experience.
- Solve difficult problems in the customer-marketing domain with elegant and practical code.
- Work backwards from customer problems, figure out elegant solutions, and implement them for speed and scalability.
- Be responsible for designing, developing and deploying complex projects.
- Utilize various metrics sources to deliver rapid iterations of software features.
- Collaborate with other engineers and scientists within Zappos to find technical solutions to complex design problems.
- Raise the bar on quality, consistency, maintainability, efficiency, security and all the other things that make great software great.
- Use your expertise to set a high bar for the team, mentor team members, set the tone for how to take on and deliver on large impossible-sounding projects.
- Participate as an engineering leader in the larger group of leaders in the Zappos family
What You Need
- 4+ years of professional experience in software development.
- Have made major contributions to the design and/or architecture of multiple production projects.... preferably ones that have thousands or millions of users
- Solid computer science fundamentals (theory, data structures, algorithms).
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related field.
- Deep understanding of scalable computing systems, software architecture, data structures, and algorithms.
- Strong skills in one modern programming language such as C#, Java, or Ruby.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, such as Agile/SCRUM, Test-Driven Development and Continuous Integration & Delivery.
- Experience with relational or NoSQL databases.
- Proven track record of successfully design, build, deliver and troubleshooting complex service-oriented systems.
- Strong analytical skills, with excellent problem solving abilities. Understanding of performance tradeoffs, load balancing and operational issues.
- Self-directed and capable of working effectively in a dynamic environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to clearly and concisely communicate with technical and non-technical stakeholders across all levels of the organization
- Passion for technical leadership and mentoring.
What Will Really Excite Us
- A deep understanding of Java 8+ and experience with the Spring Framework
- Experience with AWS technologies including DynamoDB, Elastic Beanstalk, ECS, SQS, SNS, S3 or other Cloud based providers (GCP, Azure)
- Experience with dev ops automation and a reflexive cringe when the continuous deployment pipeline is broken
Don’t See Your Dream Job?
That’s okay! We are always looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers to join our world-class technology team. Leave your information and once we open our next role and you meet what we’re looking for, we’ll reach out to you!
Zappos Tech typically hires for the following positions:
- Product/Program/Project Managers
- Data Scientist/Data Analysts
- Technical Project Managers
- Software Engineers
- Frontend Engineers
- UX Designers
- Mobile Engineers
- Network, Security and System Engineers