Sr. Technical Project Manager, Customer Marketing
Zapponian [noun|employee of Zappos]. You are self-motivated. You think like an entrepreneur, constantly innovating and driving positive change, but more importantly, you consistently deliver mind-boggling results.
Bold [adjective|not afraid of anything]. A role at Zappos is an opportunity to be a part of something different. To go bold. We’re a company that isn’t afraid to take risks and question the status quo. Oh yeah, we like to have fun too.
Perks [noun|the good stuff you get for working hard]. Zappos pays 100% of your medical, dental and vision premiums. Primary care visits, dental exams, eye exams and generic prescriptions are all free. Plus matching 401k, life coaches, orthodontic benefits, and more. And don’t forget, an unlimited 40% Zappos.com discount.
1990s [noun|a decade we love, but no longer live in]. Old school cover letters are so 1990. Want to show us who you really are? Create a video cover letter. A flash mob, a comedic monologue… whatever showcases your passion for Zappos and the work you’d be doing! Videos are not required, but if you create it, we’ll watch it.
Scout [noun|you're a recruiter, too]. As a Zapponian, we’ll ask that you always keep your eye out for great talent to join our family. Consider yourself an extension of the recruiting team, scouting for the best people to grow our company.
As a Senior Technical Project Manager, you will create a project roadmap to represent the details of the upcoming work and a timeline for completing it. You will monitor cross-functional dependencies, identify any bottlenecks, and visualize progress. You'll have the freedom (and encouragement) to experiment, improve, invent, and innovate on behalf of our customers. You will do resource planning to define the scope, schedule the work, and set the budget for the project. You will own regular communication with senior leadership on technology, dependency management, risk mitigation and program health.
The focus with the Customer Marketing team is internal and external. Internal to the team — you are an expert at helping teammates stay on schedule so that the project is completed on time. External to stakeholders and cross teams - managing intake documents, gathering requirements, discussing technical capabilities and specifications, cross team dependencies and stakeholder engagement. You should also be comfortable collaborating regularly with colleagues across many of Zappos’ current businesses.
This is a new, challenging, and highly visible position. We are looking for a Senior Technical Project Manager to lead multiple large projects spanning multiple internal and external partners.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Responsible for identifying the stakeholders, driving to set roadmaps and strategies for the program, driving delivery, reporting status, and holding the bar on product quality.
- Work with different teams and domains including finance, engineers, engineering managers, customer support and many diverse teams to drive high profile projects and establish service levels and contracts between service teams.
- Have a deep understanding of product design and implementation details and will successfully represent the technical team to senior leadership and customers.
- Expected to make appropriate tradeoffs to optimize time-to-market, clearly communicate goals, roles, responsibilities, and desired outcomes to internal cross-functional and remote project teams.
- Anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints.
- Striving to (on each project intake) to find the ‘right’ data to meet the program goals.
- Collaborate and deliver to scope 3rd party vendors for experimental projects to move the needle.
- Work with stakeholders directly to understand prioritized project requests.
- Support business in creating the necessary project docs.
- Having lots of fun doing really fun things with fun people
- Proactively identify and resolve strategic issues that may impair the team’s ability to meet strategic, financial, and technical goals.
- Exemplifying our company Core Values.
What You’ll Need To Bring:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related field
- Self-directed and capable of working effectively in a dynamic environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to clearly and concisely communicate with technical and non-technical stakeholders across all levels of the organization.
- Passion for technical leadership and mentoring.
- 7+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams.
- 5+ years of technical program management experience.
- Experience managing projects across cross-functional teams, building sustainable processes and coordinating release schedules.
- A sense of humor.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication, and comfortable presenting in large groups and handling high-pressure communication with senior management.
- Experience with managing large cross-functional projects.
- Thorough understanding of software development lifecycle from conception to delivery.
- A proven record of accomplishment for being detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to self-motivate and follow-through on projects.
- Able to collect, analyze and present data sets support project goals and initiatives.
What Really Excites Us:
- The ability to perceive the world in new ways, to find hidden patterns, to make connections between seemingly unrelated phenomena, and to generate solutions.
- Record of accomplishment for managing complex technology projects with aggressive schedules and scarce resources.
- Ability to engage multiple technical teams to drive consistent expectations towards a shared goal.
- Record of accomplishment for being detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to self-motivate and follow-through on projects.
- An ability to simultaneously manage multiple, fast-paced initiatives.
- Strong interpersonal and excellent written and verbal skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Previous work as a software developer.
Don’t See Your Dream Job?
That’s okay! We are always looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers to join our world-class technology team. Leave your information and once we open our next role and you meet what we’re looking for, we’ll reach out to you!
Zappos Tech typically hires for the following positions:
- Product/Program/Project Managers
- Data Scientist/Data Analysts
- Technical Project Managers
- Software Engineers
- Frontend Engineers
- UX Designers
- Mobile Engineers
- Network, Security and System Engineers