Zapponian [noun|employee of Zappos]. You are self-motivated. You think like an entrepreneur, constantly innovating and driving positive change, but more importantly, you consistently deliver mind-boggling results.
Bold [adjective|not afraid of anything]. A role at Zappos is an opportunity to be a part of something different. To go bold. We’re a company that isn’t afraid to take risks and question the status quo. Oh yeah, we like to have fun too.
Perks [noun|the good stuff you get for working hard]. Zappos pays 100% of your medical, dental and vision premiums. Primary care visits, dental exams, eye exams and generic prescriptions are all free. Plus matching 401k, life coaches, orthodontic benefits, and more. And don’t forget, an unlimited 40% Zappos.com discount.
1990s [noun|a decade we love, but no longer live in]. Old school cover letters are so 1990. Want to show us who you really are? Create a video cover letter. A flash mob, a comedic monologue… whatever showcases your passion for Zappos and the work you’d be doing! Videos are not required, but if you create it, we’ll watch it.
Scout [noun|you're a recruiter, too]. As a Zapponian, we’ll ask that you always keep your eye out for great talent to join our family. Consider yourself an extension of the recruiting team, scouting for the best people to grow our company.
Work remotely temporarily due to COVID-19
You will work closely with subject matter experts, such as engineers, program managers, project managers, and end users to ensure accurate information in the documentation. You will create technical documentation in an internal knowledge space, that is easy to consume and understand by people of varying levels technical expertise. You will be included in various meetings where you will be transcribing and translating important topics and items for broader team use.
- Determine customer needs around technical documentation.
- Own the overall architectural diagram at Zappos, what services talk to each other, and what they say to each other.
- Work with technical staff to document process, support guides, runbooks and architectural diagrams.
- Organize and write documentation for applications, services, servers/appliances and other technical hardware/software.
- Use photographs, flowcharts, diagrams, and charts that increase audience's understanding of subject matter.
- Revise documents as changes arise as well as audit them quarterly/annually.
- Gather feedback on documentation to improve usability from end users and providers.
What you'll bring to the table:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, English, technical writing, or a related field or equivalent experience.
- 2-4 years industry experience as an effective technical writer.
- Proven ability to quickly learn and understand complex topics.
- Previous experience writing documentation and materials for multiple audiences.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, with a keen eye for detail.
- Ability to work with multiple cross-functional teams.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced and constantly changing environment.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, with an eye for prioritization.
- Experience with wikis (Confluence), and diagramming (Visio or equivalent) is preferred.
Don’t See Your Dream Job?
That’s okay! We are always looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers to join our world-class technology team. Leave your information and once we open our next role and you meet what we’re looking for, we’ll reach out to you!
Zappos Tech typically hires for the following positions:
- Product/Program/Project Managers
- Data Scientist/Data Analysts
- Technical Project Managers
- Software Engineers
- Frontend Engineers
- UX Designers
- Mobile Engineers
- Network, Security and System Engineers