Technical Project Manager
Zapponian [noun|employee of Zappos]. You are self-motivated. You think like an entrepreneur, constantly innovating and driving positive change, but more importantly, you consistently deliver mind-boggling results.
Bold [adjective|not afraid of anything]. A role at Zappos is an opportunity to be a part of something different. To go bold. We’re a company that isn’t afraid to take risks and question the status quo. Oh yeah, we like to have fun too.
Perks [noun|the good stuff you get for working hard]. Zappos pays 100% of your medical, dental and vision premiums. Primary care visits, dental exams, eye exams and generic prescriptions are all free. Plus matching 401k, life coaches, orthodontic benefits, and more. And don’t forget, an unlimited 40% Zappos.com discount.
1990s [noun|a decade we love, but no longer live in]. Old school cover letters are so 1990. Want to show us who you really are? Create a video cover letter. A flash mob, a comedic monologue… whatever showcases your passion for Zappos and the work you’d be doing! Videos are not required, but if you create it, we’ll watch it.
Scout [noun|you're a recruiter, too]. As a Zapponian, we’ll ask that you always keep your eye out for great talent to join our family. Consider yourself an extension of the recruiting team, scouting for the best people to grow our company.
Technical Project Manager
As a Technical Project Manager, you will collaborate with business and technology teams across Amazon and Zappos to plan, execute, and finalize all aspects of a given project. The ideal candidate will be able to manage multiple projects and priorities in an ever-changing environment. Oh, and you have to have fun doing it!
Considering the nature of what we do, our TPMs are heavy on the T (technical). We are looking for individuals who are passionate about the technical components that comprise a solution and how they interact with one another. We strive to bring as much to our project teams as possible and that includes a working understanding of the technologies that we use to service our customers. In other words, let us know about your technical chops. We'll be asking :)
What you’ll be doing:
- Plan and facilitate meetings with relevant teams at Amazon & Zappos.
- Present documentation and ideas to project teams.
- Self-manage the following: Scope and change requests, schedule and deliverables, communication, risk and issue management, contingency planning, resource appropriation, prioritizing tasks with the team & conflicts for multiple projects.
- Develop deep business understanding and process knowledge in conjunction with projects managed.
- Develop a deep understanding of company goals and strategies.
- Natural ability to seek, form, and drive process improvements across technical and business teams.
- Team Leadership. (think: mentoring...not people managing).
- Adapt project methodology based on project conditions and circumstances.
- Tailor documentation and communication to tech and business management.
- Effective communication of project and roadmap status, outstanding risks and issues, and key changes in scope or schedule.
- Identify risks and recommend mitigation approaches and identify issues while managing effective outcomes.
- Create and maintain project information (risks, issues, resources, schedules, tasks, budgets).
- Identify business and technical impacts of customer requirements.
- Be ready to roll up your sleeves and get into the details.
- Not afraid to wear multiple hats.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- Energy and dedication to Customer Service—this is first on the list for a reason!
- 5+ years of experience as a Lead Technical Project Manager in an operations
- Comfortable reviewing infrastructure and design alongside engineers and TPM's within Zappos and Amazon.
- Ability to manage concurrent projects in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment.
- Excellent organizational, presentation, analytical, written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong project estimation and resource management skills.
- Proficient use in tools of the trade (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, JIRA, Visio).
Don’t See Your Dream Job?
That’s okay! We are always looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers to join our world-class technology team. Leave your information and once we open our next role and you meet what we’re looking for, we’ll reach out to you!
Zappos Tech typically hires for the following positions:
- Product/Program/Project Managers
- Data Scientist/Data Analysts
- Technical Project Managers
- Software Engineers
- Frontend Engineers
- UX Designers
- Mobile Engineers
- Network, Security and System Engineers