Senior Software Engineer
Zapponian [noun|employee of Zappos]. You are self-motivated. You think like an entrepreneur, constantly innovating and driving positive change, but more importantly, you consistently deliver mind-boggling results.
Bold [adjective|not afraid of anything]. A role at Zappos is an opportunity to be a part of something different. To go bold. We’re a company that isn’t afraid to take risks and question the status quo. Oh yeah, we like to have fun too.
Perks [noun|the good stuff you get for working hard]. Zappos pays 100% of your medical, dental and vision premiums. Primary care visits, dental exams, eye exams and generic prescriptions are all free. Plus matching 401k, life coaches, orthodontic benefits, and more. And don’t forget, an unlimited 40% Zappos.com discount.
1990s [noun|a decade we love, but no longer live in]. Old school cover letters are so 1990. Want to show us who you really are? Create a video cover letter. A flash mob, a comedic monologue… whatever showcases your passion for Zappos and the work you’d be doing! Videos are not required, but if you create it, we’ll watch it.
Scout [noun|you're a recruiter, too]. As a Zapponian, we’ll ask that you always keep your eye out for great talent to join our family. Consider yourself an extension of the recruiting team, scouting for the best people to grow our company.
We build the internal tools that allow our finance teams to help internal business departments operate in the most efficient and informed way possible. We work closely with our business users to incubate new ideas and choose the best languages and technologies to provide solutions for the business.
As a Front End Software Engineer, you will be supporting and enhancing our internal tools for teams such as Financial Planning and Analysis, Financial Systems, Corporate Accounting and Zappos as a whole. This includes adding new features and redesigning applications for AWS to take advantage of the native cloud services.
To succeed in this role, you will need a good understanding of software engineering best practices such as coding standards, testing, code reviews, source control management, and build processes. In addition to great coding skills, being able to communicate with our users and understand their requirements is essential. Being able to design applications from top to bottom, troubleshooting and fixing tough problems, hitting quick deadlines, and knowing when to push back on requirements will all be very important parts of this role.
What you’ll be doing:
- Working with the business to gather requirements and develop a mix of new features and bug fixes for the internal systems applications
- Helping to build complex, scalable fast systems and services using modern technology and methodologies
- Capturing and analyzing data to improve system capabilities
- Semantic HTML and CSS coding for assigned projects
- Working with JSX and templating languages like Freemarker, JSP, Mustache, and Handlebars
- Collaborating with diverse teams to plan, prototype, and build new features
- Willing to relocate to the Las Vegas area
What you’ll bring to the table:
- A desire to make work fun and enjoyable (this is first on the list for a reason)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Web Development, Computer Science, or combined equivalent of education and/or experience is required
- Understanding of software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Capability in connecting with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product approach
- Ability to create layouts using advanced and semantic HTML5 and CSS3
- Extensive use of APIs and understanding of HTTP and REST architecture
- Strong web portfolio required** (showcasing the aforementioned skills)
- Comfortable working in a *nix environment and using GNU tools
- A solid understanding of all software layers including UI, service, data store, and communication layers
- Proficiency in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving and complexity analysis
- Experience building cloud native applications in AWS using services such as EC2, API Gateway
- Good working knowledge of SQL
- Experience with web services
- Experience with message queues
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Exemplify our company Core Values
- Must be a team player and open to change
- Fun and friendly attitude
- Hobbit-like accuracy with a Nerf gun
- BS or MS in Computer Science
What you didn’t know about the team:
We brew fresh, fancy coffee every morning and have adopted dart games with the FP&A team as the official way to settle decisions between the two teams.
Don’t See Your Dream Job?
That’s okay! We are always looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers to join our world-class technology team. Leave your information and once we open our next role and you meet what we’re looking for, we’ll reach out to you!
Zappos Tech typically hires for the following positions:
- Product/Program/Project Managers
- Data Scientist/Data Analysts
- Technical Project Managers
- Software Engineers
- Frontend Engineers
- UX Designers
- Mobile Engineers
- Network, Security and System Engineers