Zapponian [noun|employee of Zappos]. You are self-motivated. You think like an entrepreneur, constantly innovating and driving positive change, but more importantly, you consistently deliver mind-boggling results.
Bold [adjective|not afraid of anything]. A role at Zappos is an opportunity to be a part of something different. To go bold. We’re a company that isn’t afraid to take risks and question the status quo. Oh yeah, we like to have fun too.
Perks [noun|the good stuff you get for working hard]. Zappos pays 100% of your medical, dental and vision premiums. Primary care visits, dental exams, eye exams and generic prescriptions are all free. Plus matching 401k, life coaches, orthodontic benefits, and more. And don’t forget, an unlimited 40% Zappos.com discount.
1990s [noun|a decade we love, but no longer live in]. Old school cover letters are so 1990. Want to show us who you really are? Create a video cover letter. A flash mob, a comedic monologue… whatever showcases your passion for Zappos and the work you’d be doing! Videos are not required, but if you create it, we’ll watch it.
Scout [noun|you're a recruiter, too]. As a Zapponian, we’ll ask that you always keep your eye out for great talent to join our family. Consider yourself an extension of the recruiting team, scouting for the best people to grow our company.
The front-end team at Zappos (aka FEZ) is a close-knit group of developers who work to make sure the website is maintainable, speedy, and stable. We are always looking for new ways to make things better for our customers, so you will always have lots of interesting problems to solve.
What you'll be doing:
- Semantic HTML and CSS coding for assigned projects
- Working with JSX and templating languages like Freemarker, JSP, Mustache, and Handlebars
- Collaborating with diverse teams to plan, prototype, and build new features
- Willing to relocate to the Las Vegas area
What you'll bring to the table:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Web Development, Computer Science, or combined equivalent of education and/or experience is required
- Ability to create layouts using advanced and semantic HTML5 and CSS3
- Extensive use of APIs and understanding of HTTP and REST architecture
- Strong web portfolio required** (showcasing the aforementioned skills)
- Comfortable working in a *nix environment and using GNU tools
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Exemplify our company Core Values
- Must be a team player and open to change
- Fun and friendly attitude
- Hobbit-like accuracy with a Nerf gun
We’ll be super excited if you have:
- Experience with React and/or Redux
- Experience with SASS or other CSS pre-processors
- Experience with version control such as Git
- Experience with server-side scripting languages like Node.js, Python, or Ruby
- Experience with Freemarker or JSP templating
- Experience with AWS
- 3+ years eCommerce experience with a larger retailer
What you didn't know about the team:
Beyond all the technology, FEZ tries to blaze the trail of what it means to be a family and drive culture in a place where the bar is already set high. We like to occasionally take time during the workday for team outings both locally (e.g. escape rooms, board game cafes, arcades) and further afield (e.g. Zion National Park, Magic Mountain, the San Diego Zoo). Sometimes we just grab a conference room and watch a movie while we work.
What we need from you:
Along with your resume, please provide a cover letter explaining why you are interested in the company and this position. In the cover letter, please tell us what your favorite HTML tag or CSS property is and why you find it the most exciting. Also, please include an online portfolio showcasing the projects you’ve developed – this is very important! Without a portfolio, your application may not be considered. Please show off those awesome skills you have – we wanna see them!
Did you take a break from the professional world to pursue other priorities? Is your web portfolio a bit outdated? Do you want to get back to using your technical skills? If you are an experienced, Front-end Engineer eager to return to your technical career after a break please do apply! We’d love to get the right candidate ramped up and comfortable with current best practices and tools.
If you fit this description, you might be the person we are looking for! However, if you are not sure this is the role for you, don’t dismiss it! Just contact us and ask, we are more than happy to give you more information and make sure you feel comfortable in applying for the role.
This is a position for someone that is passionate about modern front-end web development. While we will consider all qualified candidates, this is not a position for back-end developers that happen to know some front-end coding. We have plenty of other great Engineering positions for you to apply to!
Don’t See Your Dream Job?
That’s okay! We are always looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers to join our world-class technology team. Leave your information and once we open our next role and you meet what we’re looking for, we’ll reach out to you!
Zappos Tech typically hires for the following positions:
- Product/Program/Project Managers
- Data Scientist/Data Analysts
- Technical Project Managers
- Software Engineers
- Frontend Engineers
- UX Designers
- Mobile Engineers
- Network, Security and System Engineers