Product Manager, Water Quality
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com
If you are excited and passionate about helping us solve water, we want to hear from you!
The Role: The Outdoor Water Quality (OWQ) Product Segment of Xylem Analytics encompasses Xylem’s flagship brand for water quality technologies, YSI. OWQ’s product scope ranges from low-cost handheld analog instruments to our signature EXO brand of continuous monitoring sondes. This Product Manager will assume responsibility for the diverse range of sampling products that we sell direct, through ecommerce, and a wide network of distribution partners. The Product Manager is responsible for all aspects of these products, from their conception, development and manufacturing to ensuring their profitability through sales and marketing.
The Product Manager will work with the OWQ Segment Manager’s to establish a strategy for this line of products that is well aligned with the overall Segment strategy. Examples of duties will include development of marketing campaigns for products, performing analytics to support the Segment Manager’s reporting responsibilities, interfacing with technical support to resolve customers’ technical issues with products, assistance with the development and delivery of educational materials, and acting as a liaison with operations for on-time delivery of high-quality products. The Product Manager will play a critical role in product development, working directly with YSI R&D as well as interfacing with external collaborators with whom we develop products.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Define product requirements for the engineering team to guide New Product Development (NPD).
- Mastery of tools used for setting and analyzing metrics for the success of marketing campaigns and our overall strategy.
- Mastery of internal tools used for forecasting, tracking orders and shipments, and analyzing monthly, quarterly, and annual financial performance.
- Assist with the development and delivery of training modules for internal and external teams and distribution partners.
- Develop and implement strategic marketing plans to promote products through various channels, and in alignment with the OWQ Segment’s strategy.
- Identify and foster relationships with key customers and associations.
- Contribute to the development of technical marketing materials (content) for launch kits, presentations, sales tools, web content and webinars.
- Participate in regular voice of customer (VOC) exercises that will help us to not only choose the right products to develop, but also to develop products with features that truly meet customers’ needs.
- Support our choices of products and product features in the new product development (NPD) pipeline by supplying competitive analyses and input from VOC exercises.
- Identify and assist in the management of partners who can help us to develop lower-cost products and act as external suppliers of those products.
- Engage with and manage the selling network, ranging from direct sales to resellers.
- Research and analyze market trends in surface water and adjacent markets, to identify new opportunities for growth and assess pricing on an annual basis.
- Assess our TAM, SAM and market share, and help us to identify strategies to grow all of them.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Business management experience is strongly preferred, and prioritized over technical experience for this position.
- Experience with environmental monitoring instrumentation, in the field or in the laboratory, and the needs of environmental monitoring customers, is required.
- Experience working in a technical professional environment.
- Four-year college degree in Marketing, Business Management, or a technical discipline such as Biology, Chemistry, or Environmental Science is required.
- The candidate should bring an awareness of the global challenges we face regarding water quality and environmental monitoring and be highly motivated to serve a customer base that takes these issues head-on.
- Comfort operating as part of a cross-functional team that includes marketing, technical, administrative, and operational members.
- Highly adaptable to change, as Xylem is a rapidly growing, publically-traded enterprise.
- Strong oral and written communication skills—samples of high-quality writing may be submitted with application.
- Ability to interpret/analyze data and translate findings into strategic planning information.
- Ideally the ability to analyze technical data for application and technical notes produced in our marketing efforts.
- Capable of physical demands of lifting up to 20 pounds from floor to waist or floor to shoulder level on an occasional basis.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- General office environment, 8:00AM and 5:00PM Monday through Friday
- Occasional field work alongside customers or product development teams, or for creation of marketing content
- Up to 30% travel required
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.