1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions.
For more information on how Xylem can help you, go to www.xylem.com
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire a Project Accountant. Xylem is currently seeking a motivated individual to work in partnership with Project Managers throughout all aspects of the project job cost and billing process, in accordance with the established accounting standards and billing policies. This position will ensure financial integrity and compliance with Company processes and procedures
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
Conducting full-cycle project accounting for multiple projects of differing contract values and complexities, including:
- Reviewing and interpreting contracts and purchase orders;
- Effectively communicating with Project Managers regarding contract conditions, change orders, billing schedules, and any additional services-related to billing;
- Setting up fees, consultants, and cost breakdowns on new projects following Work Breakdown Structure (WBS);
- Preparing draft/final invoices (including applicable supporting documentation) for all billable projects in accordance with project specific billing requirements;
- Reviewing the accuracy of labor and costs expensed to assigned projects and reallocate if required;
- Conducting a cost variance analysis to project budgets and other ad-hoc project analyses in support of the Project Managers and other users;
- Leading detailed project review meetings on a semi-monthly basis;
- Providing Work-In-Progress analysis (WIP) on a monthly basis;
- Assisting Project Managers in developing project budgets;
- Preparing monthly billing forecasts to aid Project Managers with forecast expectations;
- Evaluating requests for capitalization requests requiring different project settings and ledger postings;
- Proactively making recommendations and implementing agreed upon improvements to processes and reports;
- Researching unbilled/unrecovered costs to optimize the billing possibilities for the future and making recommendations to management;
- Providing accounts payable with advice on coding project and overhead related invoices;
- Following up with customers on collections of accounts receivable, applying cash receipts against outstanding invoices and reconciling variances that occur;
- Monitoring accounts receivable and develop strategy to reduce DSO and working capital %
- Providing quarterly support of external auditor requirements, which may include research and reconciliation
- Performing month-end activities which include but are not limited to, revenue and cost recognition, accruals, and account reconciliation
- Assisting the delivery team understand the net impact from month to month of any accrual adjustments and how they impact forecast and
- Providing other administrative duties throughout office.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Accounting Certificate or equivalent in accounting or business preferred.
- More than 5 years of hands on detailed, project accounting experience preferably in an engineering services or technology industry.
- Intermediate to advanced computer literacy, including experience in spreadsheets and project accounting software.
- Thorough knowledge of standard contract terms and how they are applied in the billing process.
- Experience with revenue recognition policies related to contract and performance matters.
- Ability to work well with others and enjoy working in a collaborative environment.
- Responds well to changes in priorities without compromising quality of work.
- Polished written and verbal communication skills and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities and see projects through to completion.
- Strong customer service orientation, both internally and externally.
- Demonstrate a proactive approach to process improvement and problem solving.
- Knowledge of the project structure in a client/consultant business environment.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
- Travel: Potentially 1-2 weeks per year for training purposes
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.