Automation & Project Engineer
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com
If you are excited and passionate about helping us solve water, we want to hear from you!
Sensus, a Xylem brand, helps a wide range of public service providers – from utilities to cities to industrial complexes and campuses – do more with their infrastructure to improve quality of life in their communities. We enable our customers to reach farther through the application of technology and data-driven insights that deliver efficiency and responsiveness. We partner with them to anticipate and respond to evolving business needs with innovation in sensing and communications technologies, data analytics and services. Learn more at sensus.com and follow @SensusGlobal on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
The Role: Sensus, a Xylem brand, seeks to hire an Industrial Automation Engineer. The Industrial Automation Engineer coordinates and participates in developing, enhancing and maintaining manufacturing automation systems. The Engineer is responsible for supporting all plant machine automation activities to include new development, maintenance, production, and quality departments. This position requires professional experience in assembly manufacturing and machining centers.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
The Industrial Automation Engineer coordinates and participates in developing, enhancing and maintaining manufacturing automation systems. Provide hands-on guidance, configuration and programming of programmable logic controllers (PLC), human machine interfaces (HMI) and related process automation and control systems; supports network communications and associated hardware, from process Input/Output (I/O) networks to the process control Ethernet network (LAN).
In addition, this position monitors and diagnoses control and network hardware malfunctions. Plans and lays out jobs from blueprints, CAD drawings, sketches or verbal instructions. Monitors and reviews hardware and software products relating to automation and information technologies, and keeps current in technology trends. Provides troubleshooting support plant-wide for manufacturing equipment, maintenance and other key process owners. Provide strategic input in capacity planning and ability to prioritize activities in accordance with the needs of production.
- The following list provides other key activities and responsibilities for the Industrial Automation Engineer:
- PLC hardware selection, configuration, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair.
- PLC software licensing, development, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
- HMI software development, maintenance, and support.
- Instrumentation specialist (including installation, calibration and PID tuning).
- AC / DC and servo drives
- Robotic technology – working knowledge and teach pendants
- Control system maintenance, troubleshooting and updating. Includes: Industrial Computer Systems, Operating Systems, Software, and Ethernet Network (hardware and software)
- Support internal departments with process knowledge and training.
- Perform informal root cause failure analyses for equipment for improvement opportunities.
- Hydraulic and Pneumatic control devices selection, configuration, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair.
- Organize/update all control (electronic) backups of PLC code, panelviews, instrumentation systems, drive parameters, and various other notes & procedures required for reference.
- Organize all process control development/test equipment to include maintaining PCs & laptops, test instruments, calibration equipment, software and software licenses, desktop support, networks, etc.
- Training existing electrical (or regular maintenance) technicians as necessary.
- Provide technical support to all internal departments.
- Generate, edit and publish AutoCad drawings as necessary
- Effectively leverage external suppliers and system integrators for detail design, build, and integration of early stage process equipment / system implementation.
- Capital project management support, general electrical, and instrument calibration experience desired
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Two-year technical degree and 5 years of experience or BSEE with field experience. This includes hands-on experience with PLCs, HMIs, and instrumentation, electronic and electrical systems.
- Two to five years applied industrial controls experience using Allen Bradley control platforms (SLC500, ControlLogix, MicroLogix, PanelView Plus, RSLogix, etc.), Motor Controls (Servo and VFD).
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Proactive approach; ability to anticipate, identify and resolve problems.
- Excellent technical aptitude with an analytical thought process.
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills and project planning
- Proficient in general MS Office software products (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, Powerpoint, MS Project).
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Ability to occasionally lift and carry up to 35 pounds.
- May be required to occasionally endure physical exertion or both indoor and outdoor climates, possibly under adverse conditions.
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Well lit, indoor climate controlled office and plant manufacturing environment.
- May be required, on occasion, to endure stressful working conditions associated with production demands, machine failures, or various breakdowns and repairs.
- May, on occasion, be required to endure external undesirable weather conditions.
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.