Customer Support and Field Technician
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem is the leading global provider of efficient and sustainable water technologies and our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges.
We are committed to social responsibility and corporate citizenship through our Xylem Watermark program, where colleagues volunteer their time and talent to provide and protect safe water resources for communities around the world, deliver disaster response, educate children, and raise global awareness about critical water issues. Innovation, diversity and inclusion are also key to our culture.
Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. We develop and provide technologies that improve the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
HYPACK, a Xylem brand, develops Windows-based software for the hydrographic and dredging industries. HYPACK was founded in 1984 as a small hydrographic consultancy. Today, HYPACK is one of the most widely used hydrographic surveying packages in the world, with more than 10,000 users. HYPACK provides surveyors and dredgers with all the tools needed to design, collect, process, analyze, and generate final products in ocean, coastal, and inland waters.
The Role: HYPACK seeks an outstanding intermediate-level Customer Support and Field Technician to resolve customer technical support issues, provide training, and provide technical field support for all HYPACK software products and related hydrographic survey equipment. The successful candidate must work collaboratively across all HYPACK departments to deliver world-class service to every customer’s inquiries. The candidate needs to be comfortable traveling, often on short notice, to deliver expert services and training to HYPACK customers around the world. This is the ideal position for any early-to-mid career hydrographer seeking a challenging and fast-paced technical position!
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
When not on travel or on assignment in the field:
- Responds to customer telephone or email inquiries for technical support about HYPACK software and related hydrographic surveying equipment;
- Troubleshoots and resolves customer support inquiries;
- Documents customer cases, product complaints, and software issues;
- Regularly writes knowledge articles to be shared with the customer base through newsletter or other company social media.
- Periodically provide after-hours support, as required.
When on assignment in the field:
- Travels to customer site to install or train on HYPACK software.
- Prepare and submit accurate and timely field service reports.
- Travel will be required to international customers; expect to travel up to 120 days per year.
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Education: High School Diploma or equivalent. 2- or 4-years of college preferred.
- Evidence of career training progression through industry or government short courses or academic certificate programs in hydrography and/or dredging.
- A minimum of 8 years industry or government experience in hydrographic surveying.
- Work history to include a minimum of 5 years’ current experience using HYPACK software.
- Must possess a current passport and valid driver’s license; must maintain a good driving record.
- Strong communications skills; the abilities to ask questions, think critically, and actively seek guidance from others are essential.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills, especially tact and patience; must be a team player.
- Must show attention to detail and dedication to excellent customer outcomes.
- Must show a willingness to learn, and a willingness to take on new responsibilities.
- Must be able to multi-task and solve problems in a fast-paced environment.
Why Work at Xylem!
We offer you a creative and international environment where you get the opportunity to focus on your personal and professional development together with committed and helpful colleagues. Engage as a volunteer through Xylem´s business program for community initiatives Xylem Watermark: www.xylemwatermark.com.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Occasionally lift and or move up to 25 lbs
- Regularly required to walk, sit, or stand; and drive a vehicle for extended periods
- Regularly required to talk and hear
- Regularly required to use hands and fingers
- Vision or corrected vision for close, distance and peripheral vision
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Standard work week: 40 hours
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Field (at customer sites): Occasional exposer to hazards that require knowledge and use of general PPE such as safety shoes, life jackets, hardhats, and hearing protection. Noise levels in the work environment are usually moderate but may occasionally be excessive. Job sites could be in marine, construction, or other industrial settings (such as aboard dredges or survey vessels).
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.