Project Accountant/Financial Analyst
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
Conducting full-cycle project accounting for multiple projects of differing contract values and complexities, including:
- Reviewing and interpreting contracts and purchase orders;
- Effectively communicating with Project Managers regarding contract conditions, change orders, billing schedules, and any additional services-related to billing;
- Setting up fees, consultants, and cost breakdowns on new projects following Work Breakdown Structure (WBS);
- Preparing draft/final invoices (including applicable supporting documentation) for all billable projects in accordance with project specific billing requirements;
- Reviewing the accuracy of labor and costs expensed to assigned projects and reallocate if required;
- Conducting a cost variance analysis to project budgets and other ad-hoc project analyses in support of the Project Managers and other users;
- Leading detailed project review meetings on a semi-monthly basis;
- Providing Work-In-Progress analysis (WIP) on a monthly basis;
- Assisting Project Managers in developing project budgets;
- Preparing monthly billing forecasts to aid Project Managers with forecast expectations;
- Evaluating requests for capitalization requests requiring different project settings and ledger postings;
- Proactively making recommendations and implementing agreed upon improvements to processes and reports;
- Researching unbilled/unrecovered costs to optimize the billing possibilities for the future and making recommendations to management;
- Providing accounts payable with advice on coding project and overhead related invoices;
- Following up with customers on collections of accounts receivable, applying cash receipts against outstanding invoices and reconciling variances that occur;
- Monitoring accounts receivable and develop strategy to reduce DSO and working capital %
- Providing quarterly support of external auditor requirements, which may include research and reconciliation
- Performing month-end activities which include but are not limited to, revenue and cost recognition, accruals, and account reconciliation
- Assisting the delivery team to understand the net impact from month to month of any accrual adjustments and how they impact forecast
- Providing other administrative duties throughout office.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Accounting Certificate or equivalent in accounting or business. CPA preferred.
- More than 5 years of hands on detailed, project accounting experience preferably in an engineering services or technology industry.
- Intermediate to advanced computer literacy, including experience in spreadsheets and project accounting software.
- Thorough knowledge of standard contract terms and how they are applied in the billing process.
- Experience with revenue recognition policies related to contract and performance matters.
- Ability to work well with others and enjoy working in a collaborative environment.
- Responds well to changes in priorities without compromising quality of work.
- Polished written and verbal communication skills and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities and see projects through to completion.
- Strong customer service orientation, both internally and externally.
- Demonstrate a proactive approach to process improvement and problem solving.
- Knowledge of the project structure in a client/consultant business environment.
Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
- Travel: Up to 20% per year for training and office visits