SME - Mechanical Engineering
POSITION DATA SPECIFICATION
SME – Mechanical Engineering
Xylem Water Solutions India Private Limited, India
Overview of Xylem
Xylem (XYL) is a leading global water technology company committed to developing innovative technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. The Company’s products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced infrastructure analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. The Company’s more than 16,500 employees bring broad applications expertise with a strong focus on identifying comprehensive, sustainable solutions. Headquartered in Rye Brook, New York with 2017 revenue of $4.7 billion, Xylem does business in more than 150 countries through a number of market-leading product brands.
The name Xylem is derived from classical Greek and is the tissue that transports water in plants, highlighting the engineering efficiency of our water-centric business by linking it with the best water transportation of all – that which occurs in nature. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
Brief Description/Job Summary
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer you will take a principal role in all activities in the area of mechanical design, design of thermal management of power electronics products, meeting challenging customer requirements. You will be working on thermal management of power electronics subassemblies within a complete product. You will be expected to own the thermal distribution concepts during early design stages and undertake feasibility studies and “proof of concept” prototyping to validate assumptions and design proposals. You’ll have to consider implications of final product requirements, manufacturing, lifetime and cost during all stages of work. Towards the end of the design cycle you will be expected to hand over the design to the customers’ design teams and to help them with final integration within their products. This will be achieved using a mixture of local in-house resources, resources located at customers’ premises and our offshore India Technology Centre.
- Creating novel ideas, especially related to thermal management and thermal packaging of power electronics designs of PECOE
- Ownership of CAD designs with considered decisions
- Engineering detailed designs with appropriate analysis
- Working on thermal, stress, fatigue, lifetime and manufacturability aspects of designs
- Designing for constant vibration applications
- Helping with, and supervising of, integrating new electronic motor drive designs with existing motors and pumps
- Cooperating with customers’ design teams during product definition and product integration activities
- Having very good understanding of moulding and casting technologies, their requirements and limitations
- Commissioning prototypes and testing proof of principle demonstrators
- Designing test rigs and assembly jigs
- Transferring fundamental thermal designs into customers’ design teams, including supporting CEMs during introduction to manufacture phase
- You will be expected to undertake a small amount of international travel
- As the company grows you will be expected to interview, help to build and then manage a team of mechanical designers in company’s own offshore Technology Centre in India Transferring the design activities to the offshore Technology Centre
To be successful in this environment and realize your potential you will need to have:
- A good degree (2.1 or above) in engineering.
- At least 15 – 20 years of job experience, design and analysis.
- Strong 3D CAD skills including FEA / simulation (SolidWorks and/or ProE/Creo/Ansys/Comsol)
- Familiarity with designing for various materials and manufacturing processes including injection molding, casting, machining, stamping, coil winding etc
- Ability to work from first principles with strong mathematical analysis.
- Ability to use workshop tools
- A creative mind and hands-on problem solving abilities
- Good communication skills
- Experience with designing for high voltage / high current electricity
- Experience with designing for demanding outdoor and fully submerged environments
- Experience of managing, coaching and helping to progress less experienced colleagues
Part 2 Describe the Person
A) Minimum professional and educational background desired (include years of experience)
- 2-Year Master’s/PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering domain
- 15+ year of relevant experience
- Excellent Communication skills with strong English in both written and spoken
B) Describe the most important competencies required of the individual
- Adaptive learner- Learns quickly; applying knowledge from one domain to another, asking questions, following procedures but also challenging set ways of doing things when appropriate. Always being curious and availing self of all sources of technical, market, competitor and customer information.
- Innovative Thinking- Creates exciting new products, systems or solutions that solve real-world customer problems and anticipate customer needs by challenging assumptions, thinking 'outside the box', generating new ideas, experimenting and being ready to take on risks, scanning other fields for new ideas, leveraging existing technology and constantly looking for ways to do things better.
- Cross-Boundary Collaborator - Collaborates effectively within his/her own team and across functional, business, geographic, and cultural boundaries, showing a willingness to work with others, share information and insight, and leverage different points of view. Proactively shares perspective and needed information with others in a timely and direct manner, helps others to achieve their goals. Works effectively within matrixed organizations across Xylem and collaborates on solutions that optimally address larger organization as well as local team goals.
Demonstrates sensitivity to interpersonal and cultural differences by adapting his or her own communication and working style appropriately, and acting in a respectful, inclusive way across geographic, cultural, functional, and organizational boundaries.
- Solution Design-Optimizes solutions for the customer based on the specification, balancing multiple variables to produce designs that meet customer needs and translating the customer's spoken and unspoken needs to compelling designs.
- Systems Thinking- Visualizes cause and effect relationships in complex systems, seeing connections between variables, deconstructing complex system problems down to discrete elements, foreseeing challenges before they become issues, understanding the effects of what-if scenarios and actions on products, systems, and customer applications.
- Technical Problem Solving - Solves complex technical problems with precision, differentiating symptom from root cause, utilizing all available tools, methods and resources and persisting in the face of obstacles
- Planning & Process Orientation- Demonstrates understanding of the complexity and risks involved in building products and systems and how all components integrate from design through manufacturing, anticipating issues, demonstrating a thorough knowledge of dependencies, and deploying successful mitigation strategies in order to effectively manage project plans, budgets and schedules. Drives the project with enthusiasm and confidence, remains upbeat in the face of setbacks, and keeps the group motivated and aligned to the goal. Encourages productive discussions that lead to innovation while maintaining needed discipline to keep the project moving forward within the defined scope. Establishes realistic commitments, and influences all parties to meet commitments with frequent, consistent follow-up conversations.
- Leading People & Tea-ms- Effectively communicates the Xylem vision and translates it into actions that advances the vision within one’s own organization, and establishes the appropriate performance standards and measures to achieve it, motivating and energizing others, and aligning goals and resources. Promotes individual & team accomplishments in a timely manner while holding individual members accountable for results. Ensures work is delegated to the lowest appropriate career stages and level, and enables teams/groups to make independent decisions by creating the appropriate environment for effective decision making. Selects and promotes the appropriate skills and capabilities aligned to the organizational mission to assemble high performing teams while ensuring team diversity is maintained and leveraged.
- Inspires accountability- Accepts responsibility for one’s own actions, results, and subsequent learning. Demonstrates drive and a willingness to challenge the status quo. Aligns words with action: follows through on commitments, and openly and proactively communicates when commitments will not be met. Communicates with candor and conviction: takes a point of view, “speaks up” especially when not in agreement. Does not allow passive resistance to take hold in the organization. Engages in constructive conflict; discusses issues openly and honestly, assuming good intent, seeking a positive resolution while not letting issues fester or linger. Seeks out diverse views to see multiple sides of an issue, reframing problems to better understand issues and bring out different views.
C) Other: Comment on items not included above
- Working Conditions
- Electrical test labs, high voltage potentials.
- Occasional travel, both domestic and international
- Stamina and Adaptability
- Capable of working with cross functional team
- Adaptability to work with different work culture, time zones.