Manufacturing Process Engineer
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem is the leading global provider of efficient and sustainable water technologies and our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges.
We are committed to social responsibility and corporate citizenship through our Xylem Watermark program, where colleagues volunteer their time and talent to provide and protect safe water resources for communities around the world, deliver disaster response, educate children, and raise global awareness about critical water issues. Innovation, diversity and inclusion are also key to our culture.
Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. We develop and provide technologies that improve the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
Xylem’s analytics businesses are leading manufacturers of premium field, portable, laboratory and online analytical instruments used in water and wastewater, environmental, medical, food and beverage and life science applications. The company’s meters, sensors, analyzers and related consumables are used every day by thousands of end-users worldwide to analyze and control quality in countless industrial applications where precise measurement is required. Xylem’s analytics business has been created over the past two years with the acquisitions of OI Analytical, YSI and MJK Automation to their core businesses of WTW, SI Analytics, Aanderaa Data Instruments (AADI), Global Water Instrumentation, ebro and Bellingham & Stanley. www.xylemanalytics.com
The Role: This position is responsible for improving existing product processes, manufacturing assembly equipment and test equipment. This role will utilize Engineering, Lean and Six Sigma tools to enhance product quality, to reduce product cycle times, to remove scrap, to improve first pass yields, to reduce material and labor costs, to mistake-proof processes, to implement new manufacturing technologies and to improve the overall efficiency of our production cells.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Provide daily engineering support to production through the SQDIPE methodology; where we monitor Safety, Quality, Delivery, Inventory, Productivity, and Engagement for the benefit of our internal and external customers.
- Develop manufacturing assembly and test processes by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment; conferring with equipment vendors. Develop tools, jigs and fixtures as required for the process.
- Train Operations associates on improved processes as well as updated equipment. Develop and document troubleshooting routines as required.
- Drive the improvement of manufacturing efficiency by analyzing and planning work flow, space requirements, and equipment layout.
- Collaborate effectively with technicians, Quality engineers, Product engineers, Purchasing agents, Schedulers and Operations associates to solve product and manufacturing issues. Demonstrate the ability to work effectively in a team.
- Lead and participate in Kaizen events, Lean / Six Sigma projects and productivity improvement projects as required.
- Perform root cause analysis (RCA) on failed parts or products. Sources of failed or rejected product will include production (as Scrap/Rework), external customers (as Defective Parts Delivered [DPD] or Warranty Returns) or suppliers (as rejected material in the Material Review Board [MRB]).
- Develop test methods and/or test set-ups to evaluate failed parts or products as required.
- Implement corrective actions via Process Change Notice (PCN) and/or Engineering Change (EC).
- Implement design and/or process improvements as well as equipment improvements via Process Change Notice (PCN) and/or Engineering Change (EC).
- Monitor and improve production First Pass Yields (FPY) for all areas supported.
- Perform reactive maintenance on tools, fixtures and equipment as needed. This includes the replacement, modification or procurement of such devices including procurement of spare parts.
- Perform tasks associated with process validations for new assembly or test processes as required.
- Respond to requests for technical assistance in all manufacturing areas.
- Other responsibilities as directed.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering.
- +3 years experience in a manufacturing environment required.
- Clear and demonstrated understanding of technical information, including schematics and engineering drawings required.
- Ability to work from diagrams, sketches, schematics and engineering instructions required.
- Ability to integrate third-party products into one complete system that meets customer requirements.
- Ability to read and analyze data in hard copy and on a computer screen.
- Strong electrical and mechanical skills.
- Troubleshooting skills
- Knowledge of assembly techniques
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing concepts and tools is a plus
- Strong computer skills (Word, Excel required). CAD software experience or class time desired with SolidWorks knowledge is as a plus.
- Technical writing skills necessary to create work procedures
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer and peripherals, hand, power and machine tools, meters and other measuring devices.
- Must be able to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively.
- Able to be productive in unstructured environment
- Self starter – takes initiative to create and implement plans
- Detail and team oriented.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing to individuals and groups with a variety of personality types and levels of the organization as well as with outside customers.
- Willingness and ability to listen effectively to understand problems and ideas conveyed by technical and non-technical personnel
- Willingness and ability to convey information and work procedures to non-technical personnel
- Professional image projection to customers and vendors
- Knowledge of safe work practices
Why Work at Xylem!
We offer you a creative and international environment where you get the opportunity to focus on your personal and professional development together with committed and helpful colleagues. Engage as a volunteer through Xylem´s business program for community initiatives Xylem Watermark: www.xylemwatermark.com.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs. from floor to waist level on a regular basis
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Manufacturing/production work areas
- Forty-hour to Forty five hour week with occasional extra time required to meet business needs.
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.