Legal Counsel (Bilingual in Spanish and/or Portuguese and English)
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: Attorney with a solid foundation in the basics of contract drafting and negotiation to assist with general corporate and commercial law matters, with a large focus on Latin America. This position will handle matters both directly and under the supervision of other attorneys and will advise internal clients at a variety of levels through clear, concise, and actionable legal advice. The successful candidate will be energetic and quickly learn the roles and responsibilities of in-house corporate counsel. Strong project management, professional, and interpersonal skills; proficiency in litigation and matter management software; superior organizational and time management skills; excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to work in a fast paced environment; ability to build credibility with lawyers and management.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Drafting and negotiating a variety of corporate commercial agreements, including transactional and long-term supply of goods and services, distribution agreements, customer agreements, and NDAs
- Providing day-to-day advice and counsel on a broad range of legal matters across the Americas region
- Providing support for assorted ad hocrequests, such as reviewing and commenting to drafts from the contracts team; preparing letters of intent, memoranda of understanding, amendments, change orders, termination letters; and helping the business to draft appropriate email responses for warranty and similar issues, etc .
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university.
- J.D. from top accredited law school with a minimum of 3 years of relevant corporate legal experience.
- A minimum of 3 years of previous experience developing, negotiating, and managing contracts from inception to closure in a complex transactional setting, including in-house experience.
- The ideal candidate will be trilingual, with fluency and literacy in English, Portuguese, and Spanish.
- Ability to proactively identify and offer creative and pragmatic business-oriented solutions/alternatives to legal and business risks during review and contract negotiations for successful deals while protecting the company.
- Initiative, excellent judgment, and ability to work independently on matters that range from minor to significant and complex.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and clients and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, problem solving, organizational, drafting, negotiation and communication skills.
- Collaborates and works effectively across departments/orgs to achieve business goals.
- Strong level of emotional intelligence, able to easily connect with different interfaces.
- Detail oriented and able to meet deadlines in a multi-task, fast-paced environment.
- Continuous Improvement: helps identify and implement continuous improvement activities.
- Trustworthy, straightforward and hands-on.
- Absolute integrity and work ethics, respect of people.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Experienced in the Windows environment using the following tools: Window Explorer and Internet Explorer.
- Flexibility to travel 15-25%
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Florescent lighting, dust, recycled air, cooling fans, semi-enclosed areas, central heating, seasonal warmer temperatures and office noise
- Shop: In locations with a factory or shop floor, exposure to factory/shop and machinery.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 (overtime required as needed)
- Travel requirement: Flexibility to travel 15%-20%
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law