Purchasing Manager-Casting commodity
Purchasing Manager – Casting commodity
Overview of Xylem
Xylem (XYL) is a leading global water technology company committed to developing innovative technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. The Company’s products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced infrastructure analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. The Company’s more than 16,500 employees bring broad applications expertise with a strong focus on identifying comprehensive, sustainable solutions. Headquartered in Rye Brook, New York with 2017 revenue of $4.7 billion, Xylem does business in more than 150 countries through a number of market-leading product brands.
The name Xylem is derived from classical Greek and is the tissue that transports water in plants, highlighting the engineering efficiency of our water-centric business by linking it with the best water transportation of all – that which occurs in nature. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
Brief Description/Job Summary:
The Purchasing Manager-Casting Commodity will be responsible for identifying potential suppliers, validating the capability and capacity of those suppliers to meet divisional requirement of the best purchased value, including quality, delivery, and cost.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Ensure parts and materials are bought at the most competitive price and delivered on time for production.
- Establish strategic relationships with key suppliers who are aligned to the company's needs.
- Identify new suppliers, agree terms and negotiate supply agreements where appropriate, including discount structures and volume rebates.
- Foster close working relationships with associated departments eg. Engineering and Production,
- Continually improve purchasing methods and drive down external spends.
- Supplier visits at very short notice.
- To carry out a comprehensive review of the Purchasing function and its methodology and identify and implement improvements.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Degree qualified / Mechanical Engineer.
- Minimum 10 years previous experience in a Purchasing role
- 4 years supervisory experience
- High competency level in use of Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, as a minimum)
- Proven track record of controlling and reducing external spend whilst developing a robust supplier base.
- Able to bring a new dimension to procurement activities.
- Fully conversant with modern procurement and purchasing techniques.
- Experience of Purchasing bespoke, manufactured parts including scheduled deliveries. Experience of working with MRP systems is essential.
- Direct Supplier and Commodity management for a specific number of Commodities/Suppliers.
- Representing the section at internal meetings and presenting Purchasing performance achievements.
- Management and coordination of Purchasing activities with relation to Cost, Delivery and Quality performance.
- Coordinating and managing with Quality personnel, resolutions to Supplier Quality concerns, ensuring timely and effective containment and long term resolution of each concern.
- Mentoring new starters, providing 'on the job' training to existing team members, and ensuring that the team are satisfactorily supported in their day to day work activities.
- Continuous development of self and individual team members.
- Strong leadership skills and proven experience in staff development.
- Knowledge on the large castings.
- “Hand on” approach to all tasks.
- Ability to take a proactive approach to overcome challenges and achieve results.
- Versatile, tenacious and people orientated.
- Result orientated and confident.
- Proven appreciation of customer service expectations and cost demands of business.
- Commercial and financial acumen.
- Developing sub-ordinates skills and competencies and defines development needs.
- Sets priorities taking into account short and long-term needs of the business.
- Analytical Skills: Procurement managers work with multiple vendors to determine the best deals for the company, and have to evaluate the many pros and cons of each, based on price, quality, speed of delivery and other factors.
- Decision-Making Skills: Procurement managers need to use the information gathered by yourself and the purchasing agents to make decisions on behalf of your company.
- Math Skills: Basic math skills will be needed to analyze prices and get the best deals possible.
- Negotiating Skills: Procurement managers will be working with suppliers to create the best deals. Negotiating skills will help create those deals.