Controller, Americas / Measurement & Control Solutions
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem is the leading global provider of efficient and sustainable water technologies and our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges.
We are committed to social responsibility and corporate citizenship through our Xylem Watermark program, where colleagues volunteer their time and talent to provide and protect safe water resources for communities around the world, deliver disaster response, educate children, and raise global awareness about critical water issues. Innovation, diversity and inclusion are also key to our culture.
Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. We develop and provide technologies that improve the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
The Role: This role is responsible for overall accounting and compliance activities for more than 75 reporting entities in the ACT/AWS management structure and over 100 reporting entities in the Measurement & Control Solutions management structure. Importantly, this leader will help establish and drive the future vision for organizing the accounting function for these businesses to be more centralized, leveraging the latest IT solutions, to improve compliance, controllership and efficiency. This leader is responsible for leading and further developing the Accounting, Consolidation/Reporting & Compliance teams for these Xylem businesses, driving process efficiency through continuous improvement, and ensuring the business maximizes shareholder value.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Partner with the businesses to optimize business strucuring of financial activities (e.g. complex contract reviews, helping design new business models, capturing data to be of maximum use in informing business decisions).
- Assist in the design of the future state global controller organization; understand existing talent pools and upgrade talent, processes and tools to better serve the business where applicable. Identify synergies across the ACT/AWS and M&CS organizations to create a more efficient and effective accounting and compliance team.
- Responsible for research and ensuring proper adoption/application of technical accounting pronouncements, including continued proper application of ASC 606 (Revenue Recognition) and ASC 842 (Leases). Prepare Accounting Issue Papers to document the impact of new pronouncements and/or issues identified. Work with HQ to properly train teams.
- Oversee the integration of newly acquired businesses, including the preparation of the opening balance sheet and adoption of Xylem policies and procedures (i.e. purchase accounting).
- Provide leadership and oversight of all month-end closing and reporting activities. Coordinate with FP&A and Operations teams where analysis is required to prepare journal entries or to review entities before certifying in OneStream. Ensure accruals posted for all unprocessed activity as needed. Ensure closing is completed per Corporate due dates and with the highest level of quality. Responsible for loading, validating and certifying entities in OneStream.
- Responsible for compliance with internal control policies and procedures, including ownership of successful completion of internal/external audits of Sarbane’s Oxley requirements. This includes owning and maintianing the ACT/AWS monitoring and controls framework, ensuring roll-out to all entities as designed.
- Coordinate completion of Quarterly Rep Letter, Disclosure & Controls Survey, Quarterly impairment testing, Goodwill Impairment testing and other corporate compliance activities.
- Responsible for any additional country specific accounting and reporting requirements for businesses outside of the United States (i.e. Canada and Latin American countries)
- Work with FP&A to ensure accurate & consistent mapping of local ledger accounts to OneStream.
- Support FP&A with details of transactions or account movements when requested.
- Support Xylem internal audit program by having team members participate in balance sheet and SOX audits.
- Provide support and guidance to managers and extended team. Assess and provide feedback to fully develop high-performing accounting team.
- Identify opportunities for improved productivity and efficiency and reduced cost of accounting operations.
- Close coordination with Xylem Global Business Services (GBS), including active participation in idenfying improvement opportunities and rolling out new future state design.
- Ensure timely processing of AP, T&E, Fixed Asset, Treasury, and other accounting activities in partnership with GBS.
- Repsonsible for submission of tax packages for actuals, forecast and budget and coordination with tax team on compliance efforts and legal entity simplification.
- Ensure effective Accounting & Compliance team succession plans.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor's Degree in relevant field
- Certified Public Accountant
- 10+ years of relevant work, including experience with Big 4 accounting firm
- Business partnering / M&A experience
- Change management experience
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Fluent in English
- Significant Experience in US GAAP
- Experience in a shared service/ COE environment
- LEAN/ GB experience preferred
- 5+ years Xylem experience
- MBA (Strongly preferred)
- Project management training/ experience
- Advanced Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and OneStream skills
- Multi-national company experience
- Building acumen
- Finance project management
- Business partnership
- Continuous improvement mindset
- Inspiring accountability
- Cross-boundary collaboration
- Intelligent risk management
- Developing capability (for people manager)
- Leading people & teams (for people manager)
- External: External Audit, Consultants
- Internal: Finance and Operations teams in the ACT/AWS and M&CS businesses as well as Corporate; Internal Audit; Senior Business Leaders
Why Work at Xylem!
We offer you a creative and international environment where you get the opportunity to focus on your personal and professional development together with committed and helpful colleagues. Engage as a volunteer through Xylem´s business program for community initiatives Xylem Watermark: www.xylemwatermark.com.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Travel: <20% At least annual visits to largest accounting sites, mostly within the United States
- Standard weekly job hours: 40+ hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.