Business Development Manager
We’re Hiring for a Business Development Manager!
If you are excited and passionate about helping #LetsSolveWater, consider joining our team today! Xylem, Inc. is a leading global water technology company servicing more than 150 countries and is dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues. We are looking for individuals to join our mission by exceeding customer expectations through smart sustainable solutions. At Xylem, you will have the opportunity to solve water by participating in our paid Volunteer Program, Xylem Watermark!
THE ROLE: The Business Development Manager will be responsible for formulating growth strategies that measurably improve the business’ market position, drive differentiated customer experiences and achieve financial growth in Water Utilities Vertical. The role will combine market intelligence, data-driven insights and a deep understanding of customer needs to identify trends, “white space” opportunities, and develop areas of competitive advantage to drive revenue growth:
- Serve as a market segment expert, understanding both the broad landscape of the market as well as the granularities of it, including the key players, competitive threats, and levers for success.
- Drive customer intimacy and brand value by defining and segmenting needs, pain points, buying behaviors, and preferences.
- Collaborate with different groups to design and execute strategies that generate demand and drive growth through customer acquisition, retention, and win-back.
- Identify and build the case for the big “strategic bets” for growth in the category, including product development opportunities, expansion into adjacencies, cross-selling and upselling potential, and new business models.
We offer a full benefits package to include Flexible Time Off (FTO) for salaried positions, health, dental, vision, investment savings plan, and additional miscellaneous benefits.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
In collaboration with marketing communications, product management and sales colleagues:
- Sources and interprets multiple and complex data sets (from internal and external sources) into insights that lead to profitable business actions.
- Produces a robust multi-year “Market Map” based on identification of under-served customer markets, monitoring of industry trends and high-growth, attractive market/technology drivers.
- Regularly gathers and analyzes business, market and competitor information and supports the development of the strategic marketing plan.
- Leads Voice of Customer programs to solve strategic growth questions for the business and sense for latent customer needs.
New Business Development:
- Develops go to and get-to market strategies for existing products/applications/markets in geographies where market share is low compared to goals and/or are targeted areas for growth.
- Works closely with the Demand Generation Manager to develop targeted lead generation and brand building marketing campaigns that can be directly attributed to revenue growth.
- Identifies potential market adjacency opportunities.
Business Development Manager
- Works with channel partners to build their business.
- Partners with sales to identify strategic accounts and provide insights, training, or other support as needed.
- Performs thorough assessments of the potential for specific new target markets and technology opportunities and develops go-to and get-to market strategies to pursue these opportunities
- Builds industry and customer alliances and participates in industry/trade organizations.
- Identifies potential business partners and scouts for M&A opportunities.
- Develops content for and/or participates in training events for customers and sales organization.
- Demonstrates thought leadership by presenting in industry seminars, leading webinars and publishing white papers.
- BA or BS in Marketing, Business or Engineering
- 8-15 years of related experience
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Knowledge of principles and methods for driving growth and value creation.
- Balance strategic and tactical efforts - Ability to get credible results/wins working one-on-one with sales & ops AND providing a clear 3–5-year framework for accelerating profitable growth.
- Ability to create followership and influence – get teams rallied around the business especially in sales & product management by informing, listening, convincing, and persuading others to action on key growth initiatives.
- Collaboration and teamwork. Proven track record of teamwork, innovation, and results.
- Converts theory and insights into specific actions.
- Ability to manage and organize multiple priorities in a poised, self-driven manner.
- Superior business perspective, problem solving, and command skills.
- Pump Industry Experience and/or waste water treatment industry experience
- Sales, Marketing and/or BD background
- MBA desired
The estimated salary range for this position is $110,000 to $140,000 plus bonus. Starting pay is dependent on multiple factors, such as skills, experience, and work location, and is not typically at the top of the range. At Xylem we offer a competitive compensation package with a generous benefit package, including Medical, Dental, Vision plans, 401(k) with company contribution, paid time off, paid parental leave and tuition reimbursement.
At Xylem, we embrace diversity and strive to create avenues where employees feel valued and appreciated through our DE&I initiatives and Employee Resources Groups (ERG). Xylem is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action workplace. Xylem prohibits discrimination, harassment of any kind and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or sexual orientation (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, marital status, medical conditions or disability, genetic information, age, or other non-merit factors.
Join the global Xylem team today! Xylem is a team creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges through developing new technologies and services that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor, and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential, and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities.
Disclaimer: The information listed within this job description is designed to indicate the general nature of work expected for this position and shall not be viewed as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required in this position. Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and if requested, reasonable accommodations will be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job absent undue hardship. Xylem reserves the right to modify this job description or assign other duties to this position as needed.